Unbinding a large book

I have some Shadowrun 5th edition core TTRPG books that are falling apart at the spine. My goal is to take one off the remaining spine glue and either staple it as several smaller sections for tabletop game reference or to rebind it, also as several smaller books. I would love to hear input about what tools to use for either of these options. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can provide.

It sounds like a “cerlox” style binding machine was donated in 2016. That sounds like it would work great, so my main remaining question is how to take the pages off the remaining glue. Are there any saws that cut well through stacks of paper and could trim 1-2mm’s off of this book?

1 Like

A bandsaw would handle this well, I think. Even a handsaw:

If using a handsaw, a flush cut style will probably work best for this.

Yeah we should have a cerlox machine, if anywhere it could be near the large window near the Leatherworking cabinets. I am not sure however, if we have any combs of that size. I will be up at the space this weekend and can check if needs be

@dryad2b what does your husband think on this issue?

I’m reasonable confident you can buy a single comb of any size at an office supply store that has copying services (Office Depot, for instance).

1 Like

Well, I know he regularly saws books on one of the bandsaws. Usually he wraps the rest of the book in blue tape to keep the pages from shifting while you’re sawing it.

I’d vote for the comb. It would be a boatload of work to try to bind single sheets any other way.

A Kinko’s or whatever they called now sell individual combs. Not cheap, but cheaper than a box of them,

1 Like

“Fed Ex Office”

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback! I’m planning on band sawing the spine glue off tomorrow. Since my goal is to make quick reference guides out of this larger rulebook, I will be using smaller combs. Hopefully I can find an office supply store with them on the way over to the space.