Tutoring on micro USB connector repair?

Would anyone be around Fri-Sun with experience in repairing small components like this and an interest in a bit of tutoring? I made a repair on this some time ago using my iron at home and some UV activated resin for strength. It worked for a time however it did not last and my skills are lacking in this area.

It’s a board out of an Astro gaming Mixamp Pro if that’s of any consequence. Connection is carrying power and data.

Hi Jay,
I’ll be around the space for a little bit tonight between 5 pm to maybe 7 pm. I actually have a few brand new Micro USBs like that one at my shop from an old project. Do you have a storage box? If you don’t reply I’ll live the USB on the wall in the electronics room by the pick and place for you. I could leave you this one and you could fully replace your port.

I would clean up all the solder off the board and make sure the holes where the tack down pins go are completely clean. Then put a dot on regular glue where the little hold down pad is. Place your new USB, solder the back pins, then flip the board and solder the back side of the hold down pins. Last wait a day or so for the glue to setup before using it. If you want to protect it from coming off in the future, 3d print a case that presses down on top of the USB port to keep it from levering up and breaking.

1 Like

Thanks! I do have a storage box (Black, in the proto rack by the coffee vending machine). I appreciate the advice and offer of a part. I may also be around at that time this evening. Planning on poking around the electronics lab and seeing if I can’t have a go at cleaning up the board and doing as you suggest.

1 Like

Nick, thanks for the part. Two attempts later success! Not my best work but job done works for me. I’m hoping there will be some intermediate to advanced soldering / re-work classes at DMS I can catch. My technique would no doubt improve as a result.

Thanks again!

3 Likes

Awesome job and good on you for rolling with the issues on this.

I hope your final project is as big of a success.