TSA Safe pocket tool for engineers

This is a tool for engineers but has blades and thus would not make it past the tsa. I do find in travels a pocket tool might be nice. I am looking to replace the blade with a part of wire strippers and maybe another tool. Do you have any suggestions?

Dissembled clones of tool.

https://www.leatherman.com/tsa has a few

4 Likes

You know, I have though about doing something similar, but I still don’t trust the tsa to confiscate it anyway, just because…

3 Likes

Blunt nose scissors are on the allow list, but a fat douchebag with a TSA badge and a horrible attitude in OKC wouldn’t look at his damn list.

2 Likes

Would you use 01 tool steel to make wire cutters?

1 Like

I used to travel with a SASE (6x9 padded) so I could mail back to myself anything that they wanted to confiscate. I found that airline counter agents were typically willing to just take the envelope and at some point it found its way into the mail.

6 Likes

I am looking to use O1 tool steel to make an alteration to my tool. it is as much for resume and for practice. Is their a better form of practice of tool grade steel?

1 Like

So I’ve never had the TSA take a pocket knife of mine as long as it was in my carry on. I’ve done this multiple times by accident. However, I did have them confiscate my TSA safe leather man where I had replaced the 2 blades with longer screwdrivers. My mistake was carrying the leather man in my pocket. TSA is a joke, if they can say it looks like something, they will take it. I have not had it be my experience that they are willing to discuss the finer details of their rules.

I wouldn’t carry anything like that through security. If you need any tools, just check a bag.

I don’t even take toothpaste, shampoo or soap. Last thing I need is some agent to have a bad day.

1 Like

I travel so much that I just check my bag because of the full size tube of toothpaste. I hate the free stuff you get at the hotels - it’s usually disgusting.

Ok passing the tsa is a bad idea, but i still don’t need a knife for an electronics tool. Is this a good tool to try to alter or is there a better project that you might suggest.

When I take bladeless tools through TSA they always tell me how much they appreciated it and thank me when I fully open the tool before sending it through the scanner.

1 Like