TruFuel vs Pump Gas

How old is this fuel? How does it smell? I’ve run some that was 3-4 years old through one of the cars mixed with fresh gas. But it had not developed the highly turpentine smell I’ve experienced in smaller quantities of other fuel that eventually was used to start a burn pile. (An exceedingly dangerous use by the way, the vapors routinely spread further away than you think)

1 Like

I pulled it out of a truck 2 years ago after it had sit in its tank for ~2 years. My sense of smell has dropped to almost nothing, but I’m told it smelled “like varnish” when it was being pumped out at the time. Running it in mixtures through some of my small-engine power equipment did … bad things … to said power equipment.

1 Like

If you like we can dispose of it in October at our next pyro event. Generally mixed in various ratios with diesel and lofted into the air out of a mortar.

5 Likes

This is what I’ve done, too. I have a 22+ gal tank on the truck. It is one of those that burns alcohol fuel (E85) as well as gas. When I’m close to empty I pour a gallon or so into the tank and head for the gas station. I’ve never had the slightest problem doing this and sometimes the gas, which I keep in a jerrycan, is as old as a couple years.

I won’t use it in lawn equipment only because I’ve had difficulty with proper carburetion in these in the past. I also empty all garden equipment gas tanks before the winter and burn it in the pickup, too.

Lastly, I have a friend with a couple hundred acres and we’ve used it to burn bulldozed brush before. It is really amazing how rapidly 5 gals of gasoline burns when poured on a bunch of brush.

1 Like

Oh and this topic made me think about my dad’s Poppin’ Johnny John Deere we had when I was a kid. Started it with an outboard flywheel. The flywheel had finger indentations so you could grasp it and turn the wheel to start the tractor. What fun it was.

It would burn almost anything from pure 100% alcohol to diesel, gas or kerosene. My dad was so proud of the Johnny because it was very dependable and easy to fix.
johnny

4 Likes

Oh Poppin Johnnie…

Time to solve the eternal debate: which kind of powdered detergent makes the best DIY napalm?

I always get flustered at the step that says “bring the gasoline to a boil.”

I called our trash pickup company (Barnes waste disposal in my case) and asked them about removing some old diesel fuel I got inadvertently when I moved in to our house. They scheduled a pickup and took it away - no hassle.

Cost me four old fuel cans, and the barrel isn’t quite empty (yet), so I’ll have to do another round once I get a longer fuel-safe pump to completely drain it.

City of Lewisville has hazardous material disposal. 2nd saturday at 9am.

https://www.cityoflewisville.com/about-us/city-services/sustainability/household-hazardous-waste

They will take gas and give you your old container back to boot!

3 Likes

Getting the container back is important. Since I have some other hazardous waste to dispose of perhaps I’ll trek out there after all.

1 Like

There’s a distinct possibility they will only accept waste from residents (and check your drivers license to confirm) - you might give them a call first.

For example: the Anna Landfill accepts bulk waste for free from Lucas residents on the first Sat of the month, but they need an ID or utility bill to prove residency - and they check every time.

1 Like

I have supreme confidence that I qualify and their processes are not as stringent as the city dump.

Cool. When you mentioned “making the trek out there” that rang as “I am not local to that city” to me.

If not pick me up and use my dl :wink:

1 Like

Stopped at Buckees today on my way to the OKC marathon. Current price:

1 Like

You should have seen it when they were first opened. It was like 2-2.15. They will give you 50¢ off a gallon with a car wash.

Last Thanksgiving, regular unleaded was around $1.699. I seem to recall the bottom was something like $1.499 around the end of the year.

What buccees was this at?

I suspect the one on I-35E one exit south of Loop 288. Their prices are consistently lower than the one by TMS.

I35 between Lewisville and Denton

1 Like