TruFuel vs Pump Gas

So, Bates Cycle that’s next to the space has U44 for $14.50 a gallon and VP110 for $10 a gallon. Bring your own cans, and they’re open til 6 on weekdays and 9:30 to 5 on Saturday.

1 Like

Bates Cycle that’s next to the space has U44 for $14.50 a gallon and VP110 for $10 a gallon. Bring your own cans, and they’re open til 6 on weekdays and 9:30 to 5 on Saturday.

Not quite as cheap as avgas, but better for the bunnies and birds and whatnot.

1 Like

Tim,

This is literally just up the street from my work - I can swing by tomorrow morning and ask if you like.

1 Like

I’d call them first, it’d be much faster. VP does sell their brand to “brand” independent gas stations, but (much to my frustration) I’ve only ever found one that actually sold VP racing fuel from the store.

1 Like

For me it is just up the street, no biggie to drop by.

1.9 miles is not far

I doubt that they have anything but the “vanilla” fuels

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: A bit of local history with a dash of shenanigans & mystery… And food. :wink:

Thanks everyone who contributed, I think it will come down to how much this thing drinks But I think every season will end with Trufuel. The race gas theoretically could be a solution and the mower did not list a max octane rating.

1 Like

Note: a higher octane rating will not, in itself, increase power. Octane prevents detonation, which allows higher compression ratios. Using a higher octane gas in a lower compression engine is a waste of money (if your goal is to improve performance).

1 Like

Nah, no worries about detonation/performance mostly to avoid ethanol and the moisture/acid problems. I don’t know how small engine carburetors deal with higher octane, harder to ignite, fuel though. I think I remember folks who run race fuel in drag cars having to make changes (tunes etc) to get it to run properly.

High octane may not be as tolerant of dirty spark plugs, but the only reason different tunes exist for higher octane is to make use of the ability to run more boost,more timing, or some other adjustment that makes more power, but would cause issues with a lower octane. Running higher octane without other alterations doesn’t add any power.

1 Like

Tim, my sister live in Durant Oklahoma and there are a number of places that sell 100% gas. I’ll be up there sometime in the next couple of weeks, I’ll bring you back 3-5 gallons. It’s only about 30 to 40 cents more per gallon.

FYI I just discovered the freshly opened Buc-ee’s in Denton on I-35 dispenses 100% fuel (no ethanol, 92 octane, I think) through the blue dispenser nozzle in addition to diesel and the usual compliment of unleadeds at most pumps. Off topic, but they also dispense DEF at select pumps. Pricing for reference this last weekend (4/20/2019) was $2.45/gal for “up to 10% ethanol” and $3.99 for “no ethanol added”.

So, it sucks to get into (and out of), especially right now while the road is under construction, and it’s always a zoo, but it’s an option that might be closer than others to DFW for pump dispensed actual gasoline. It’s in the Golden Triangle, anyway.

1 Like

I just bought an off-road utility gas can & some of the ethanol free gas from there last night for my kids dirt bike.

1 Like

I’m again reminded that I have several gallons of fluid that used to be gasoline in gas cans in the garage that I need to dispose of - there are only so many oil stains on the driveway / street in front of my house to clean up. Short of becoming an arsonist firebug how might one dispose of old, bad gas?

1 Like

Most municipalities have a program to collect hazardous waste, and will accept old fuel under those; this is how most of us city slickers gitrdun. Otherwise, a buddy with a farm and some brush that needs s’morin’.

Yeah, once a month a bit earlier than I’m up on a Saturday on the other side of town and they probably want the containers (grumblewhine). Was hoping for something more immediate/convenient. Perhaps some cheap cheap bags of kitty litter will be willing recipients.

1 Like

How does one apply this to benefit? Never heard of using gasoline to abate oil stained concrete, and have the resources and need. Quick googler nets little except for needing to clean up the gasoline stains of one spills it…

Buy an old motorcycle and feed it with small percentages of expired product?

Also, can’t recommend, but: just open the cans and set them out in the open air (which is roughly the same as using kitty litter). More surface area=faster “disposal”. Greenie trigger warning. May have other implications depending on witnesses…

Paging @Lampy

How can you help Eric dispose of some old gas in a beautiful way?

1 Like

I often used this method in my youth to deal with the invariable tendency of the wind to pick up on a calm day (changing a vehicle’s oil) and deflect the oil stream from the catchment vessel onto the pavement despite my ever-more-elaborate layers of newspaper and other remediation methods, greatly irritating my father. Theory being that it takes a nonpolar solvent to bind to a nonpolar stain (similar to how soap fills in for stain-lifting where water fails), it had some benefit beyond hopelessly grinding up newspaper, paper towels, and kitty litter into the pavement.

Ah yes, varieties on the “sequester the carbon in the atmosphere” approach.

1 Like