Troubleshooting what I don't know much about

I have an adjustable work station, the kind you can stand at while you work. It isn’t adjusting anymore. Preliminary troubleshooting showed me 12vdc coming out of a 24vdc power supply, so I replaced it. Out of the push button control only one of the connectors works. Before I start messing with it, I’d like to talk to someone about the electronic particulars of this kind of dc motor and its controls.

The workstation is similar to this one. Apparently it was made in 2015.

Is there anyone who is familiar with this sort of thing?

Doug

It’s pretty straightforward. The motors are DC motors, which means that the two wires of the motor determine the direction is rotates. If you connect the motor leads directly to the 24 V supply the motor should run. If you reverse the red and black leads it should reverse. This is really all the up and down switches do. The two motor connectors should be the same connection electrically, so swapping the motors will tell you if the problem is the switches or motor. If the probelm moves with the motor, it’s the motor. If not, it the switches.

Those motors are basically electric window motors. I’m pretty sure the extra wires are limit switches that indicate when the motor has reached the end of travel.

1 Like

Thanks, Oz, I’ve been hoping I could just throw in a double throw switch in there. The little PC boards gave me pause. Normally the table would travel a few inches then stop and I would have to release and push the button again. The label sticker indicated that it had a built-in forced rest time, so apparently that’s what’s in those little boards. You gave me enough encouragement to hack on it. Besides, I’ve got nothing to lose if I cross that line of messing it up altogether.

1 Like

Double pole double throw - center off could work. Especially if it was spring loaded to off

Bring the board in to office hours on Thursday and we can take a look

1 Like

See you Thursday

Will you be there much before 7 or after 9 or so? A class has come up that I want to attend that starts at 7.

I should be. I plan to be at DMS around 5, but no guarntees. I’m pretty confident at being there by 6

I’ll get down there early and find you whenever you get there.