Tripod suggestion?

I’m seeking suggestions for a new tripod. Max weight it will hold is a DX format Nikon with a 300mm lens. It’s primarily for “studio” use but on occasions it needs to be toted around it has to be something that wimpy little me can carry.

I’ve had various tripods over the years and ultimately the various plastic parts (leg fasteners, for instance) just wear out, crack, break. Durability it important to me.

I’m not particularly looking for a super high end tripod nor a complete tripod system. Quick disconnect mounting is important.

1 Like

I’m a cheapskate photographer - I shoot Pentax, my fave wildlife lens is a cheap-ish used Sigma 170-500 zoom, I made my own light panel because I just couldn’t spend the money on a ready made one :smiley: .

This tripod has worked well for me. I admit I don’t abuse my equipment so I can’t attest to the durability. It is so much lighter than my old aluminum tripod it still surprises me. The ball head is not terrible and it comes with an arca-swiss compatible quick release.

I also use an older model of this gimbal head which really makes a difference with big heavy lenses:

You do have to disassemble the pivots and clean everything and regrease with a proper lithium grease to get smoother “stiction” movement but it’s serviceable for me.

2 Likes

I’ve always shot with a pan/tilt head (I’m not shooting video … either “studio” work or landscapes). I’m toying with the idea of a ball head (specifically this Oben BE-117. )

It has two bubble levels and an independent pan lock. Will this make me crazy trying to get it square/level? Am I better off with a pan/tilt head?

All advice appreciated.

EDIT: For comparison, I’m also considering this (way more expensive) Manfrotto XPRO 3-Way Pan/Tilt head.

Chris… by FAR the tripod I have enjoyed the most is my Alta Pro 263AT

It has a feature that you might really enjoy in that the center riser can be tilted.

The ball head (I don’t remember if it came with or i scavenged it from another tripod) is a Vanguard SBH-100 it also has two bubble levels, though I tend to only focus on composition and correct any leveling in post processing if needed.

1 Like

I had ball head and hated it. I ended up getting a pan head to replace it. I got a Neewer video head for about $25. It’s OK but you need to dis-assemble it remove the grease from it and re-assemble for it to move smoothly. What it come with is more like glue than grease. It’s fine for my uses and it’s cheap. I can’t remember where I bought the tripod but it’s very heavy.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight about the ball head. I feared that would be my experience too.

FWIW, BH Photo has full-size, 3.5 pound Oben carbon fiber tripod legs on sale for a 40% discount. It’s still real pricey but this is probably the only time I’ll find something that nice for anywhere near that price.

Haven’t messed with that one, but I do have a carbon fiber tripod. It’s great at being light so toting it around is a cinch but it’s also easy to bump. I’ve had it fall over in a decent breeze.

1 Like