Trebuchet Team Help

If we could figure out a way to stabilize a camera flung through the air so it’s facing a consistent direction (and lands at a safe speed), that would be a neat visual.

Cool. I can confuse the heck out of everyone with an International Paper hardhat.

Wasn’t there a member with a kickstarter for a rolling ball security camera? Perhaps they have perfected this algorithm?

I was thinking a package with a streamer to stabilize the camera(s), but if the rolling-ball concept can be tricked out to handle launch and landing gracefully, perhaps we could get a 360 of the flight.

1 Like

Make the streamer look like a flame!

Another possibility would be two 180 degree fish eye cameras back to back. As a combined image, I suspect it would be nausea producing fun to watch…

Clearly Brandon should have the right/honor/compulsory first firing at the event (as well as practice). One for his efforts in building it (I’m impressed at), secondly as an object lesson in building such things in the future should t go amiss.

The amazing thing about this project I’ve found is the many people educated in physics, engineering, and math can all agree on the various aspects of calculating individual items and what it should do none are willing to say what, with any real degree of certainty, the cumulative effect of these various forces are in terms of G loading, point of release, stress loads, etc. when they operate as a system. All of which makes me wonder how many medieval Da Vinci’s died building such contraptions.

Watching it being heating with a propane powered flame thrower like device throwing out a conical three or four foot flame while Brandon danced in and out with an IR temp gauge taking temp readings was fascinating.

One newer member commented “Just watching the sh-- that goes on here is worth fifty bucks for entertainment” … he apparently witnessed Ken’s first CO2 ice cream event.

This is an amazing place.

5 Likes

With trial and error, and having someone ELSE do the firing…

1 Like

I’m taking that was the spreading of ice cream uncontrollably, or better known as when my kids got ice cream

2 Likes

I cannot commit to those hours, so will not be volunteering for the team.

I would like to buy one of the team shirts though. Please make mine a large.

I will be there helping out both our team and SlingFest in general.

2 Likes

I wish I could be there to see how it does and help out, but sadly I will be out of town :disappointed: @MellissaRhodes, @ESmith, @lukeiamyourfather can I count on one of you to let me know if @Brandon_Green ends up in the ER? :smile:

4 Likes

I have a friend in Caddo Mills with plenty of land if we need a testing location. Let me know an dI’ll ask him. This is the same location that we do all the pyro events, he is usually up for anything that is dangerous and fun.

4 Likes

Ok, Rex is on board with testing at the farm if desired. Let me know.

1 Like

What size shirt does he wear you think? . It would be a moderately nice thank you to give him. @Lampy

Maybe we can stop by Ammo Depot on the same trip!

We may have to run off some cows be he prefers we don’t shoot at them. But I understand if you need Ammo. :wink:

Interesting the cows don’t seem to mind huge fireballs or very loud explosions.

1 Like

Donation shelf might have some pickings.

1 Like

I’ll ask him what size he wears.

can I count on one of you to let me know if @Brandon_Green ends up in the ER? :smile:

@merissa DONE. That means I’m officially on the team if I’m on Brandon duty right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Hoping we can make it, not sure enough to volunteer for team :frowning: If we do will bring action cams for moar angles.