Trebuchet Class

I got a Da Vinci Trebuchet kit from Hobby Lobby
It’s similar to this:

It’s a fairly simple build process. I am interested in the physics of trebuchets and would like to have a trebuchet building class, maybe build and test launch projectiles and calculate your aim to hit a target.

If you are interested let me know, I can get enough trebuchets for the class so each student can build their own. We could launch them in the workshop or interactive classroom. It would be a fun family friendly class as well.

@brianbterry might be able to help explain the physics concepts as well to make this more of a scientific class.

4 Likes

Oh, yeah, I’m there.

1 Like

Trebuchets were used in my Six Sigma Belt Black class for accounting for all the possible process inputs - which turned out to be a lot.

1 Like

When this article first came out, I made one of these out of white oak. Now that you reminded me of it, I may make another out of walnut…

4 Likes

@themitch22 have you built your kit yet? I’ll probably start mine this weekend.

There are lots of trebuchet videos on YouTube.

Not yet, I will build it soon.

I’m thinking if there is interest maybe we can create a parametric CAD model for CNC cutting a trebuchet from plywood.

Interesting…we can build a really big one for SlingFest…

1 Like

I have been busy with the gocupi and 3D printer stuff, I will definitely build my trebuchet kit, I’m also going to work with @brianbterry on the science and math behind it for the class.

If people are still interested in building trebuchets, then please join us at the Plano Makerspace as last and this year’s builders meet to discuss this year’s Sling Fest, on Oct 30th. We’re not as big as the Punkin Chunkin in Delaware, but we have just as much fun.

https://www.facebook.com/events/917131055063905/

1 Like

I’m hoping DMS can participate in Sling Fest. We need to schedule regular meetups to design and build one. @brianbterry found some really good designs we could try to build for it.

A better meeting would be the one on Aug 4 about building a trebuchet instead of planning the event? http://www.meetup.com/TheLab-ms/events/232527401/

1 Like

I can’t make it to the event (looks like it was rescheduled to August 11th now). I need some representative from DMS to be there for planning, maybe @Bill . I scheduled a DMS trebuchet meetup on the 13th so we can plan our build.

1 Like

I can be there for the first half-hour, then I have a TAP meeting.

I plan on being there Mitch, i noticed the date change but thats not an issue.

Anything in particular you want me to bring back from the meeting?

It has been pushed back to Aug 18.

1 Like

I can still make that

1 Like

Hey everyone,

I apologize for the schedule confusion as we had to push it back 2 weeks due to scheduling conflict. It’s now on Aug 18th. Everyone is still welcome to join, but if you can’t make it and are interested in building, I’m happy to talk to anyone to provide guidance.

1 Like

I built one from that article too. I think it’s still at the school my son was attending. I worked well.

1 Like