Transmission 4R100 & rebuild

Its in the Excursion now. It was not fun but its in.

It did have its moments too. Cut open my finger, Lisa & My MIL thought it needs stiches, but I’m stubborn…No stiches for me

2 Likes

It’s not a proper project unless there’s a bit of blood sacrifice! :slight_smile:

Just put some paper towel on it and wrap that with electrical tape.

5 Likes

Yep that’s exactly what I do. I don’t use the cheap stuff either. 33+

1 Like

If bleeding slowly and you don’t want to wait for it to stop, put on disposal gloves and tape cuff shut to prevent bleeding all over everything (don’t laugh I’ve done this … the joy of taking blood thinners).

You’re good for about a quarter cup before sloshing gets annoying. Then new glove. Super Glue works wonders and New Skin applied liberally (Note: do not do this and put on glove for at least 15 minutes). Amazing I haven’t died of septicemia.

Got in and running late last night. Still some sort of issue with overdrive. I’ve let my body catch up on rest today. Not sure yet if the PCM or something else. Also the clamps I bought with my new boots weren’t the right size so I need to replace them too.

3 Likes

It’s official, she is all good. I replaced the main valve body. It appeared that in the 276,000 miles of cycling, it wore to where the body got to full operation temp, some of the valves would stick. This has an accumulator body, upper valve body, lower valve body & the solenoid pack. I finished throwing it (replacement valve body) back together for the second time at 2 am. The first time it didn’t want to shift at all. I was not happy about that, the second time when I pulled it, I compared the two for shits & giggles. This time I disconnected the battery. I think there was a logic in the solenoid pack that made it go ape shit. Drove for many miles tonight. Also during the rebuild I did the sonnax kit on the pump, overdrive snap ring, seals, accumulator valves & a few others.

4 Likes

I just finished rebuilding my 4R70W last week.

Filled it with about 12 quarts of fluid and took it for a spin. It wouldn’t shift out of first gear. I checked level and added 2 more quarts of fluid.

It then wouldn’t shift from 2 to 3. It took about half a mile of driving before it kicked into 3rd and then into overdrive…

…but believe me, that was a REAL tense half a mile!

Lol. It’s always, did I forget something?

My youngest left this on the Fridge Friday morning.

@zmetzing Id wait until you have an issue before rebuild the Allison. Transtar has pretty good pricing on parts. That’s were I got all mine. My torque converter was the most expensive part as well. It was actually still a really good deal for a billet converter at 375$ I could have got a stock one for I think 115$. I did also flush my cooler line with a commercial flush that they sell.

2 Likes

Ahhh the transmittion, also known as a mans transmission!

That’s interesting @zmetzing. I know there is another overdrive I can put on my 4r100 but its not worth it to me. The builder of it doesn’t advise towing heavy loads using that gear.

I find this

juxtaposed to this

quite humorous…

1 Like

So I thought I’d update. Transmission is working great. I saw an increase in my mileage. I went from about 13.3 to 16.6 mpg, that ain’t babying it either. That is about 25% & some more room for improvement. I have a boost leak on the discharge valute to spyder that I have to contend with.

3 Likes