Transmission 4R100 & rebuild

Tim,

Just curious if your kids tried out the MREs yet?

Not yet. I’m going to this weekend or week. I didn’t want to give it to them yet until I knew they could burn the energy off. My two boys after they eat get extremely active.

1 Like

Once the the transmission is off the table - you could opt for fine dining of an MRE by chem light for you and your wife!

2 Likes

Anything pertaining to moderate amounts of loose automatic transmission fluid. So not sure what that takes off the table for you, but indoor transmission work at home is out of bounds for me.

Lol, I have OSB & Cardboard on the table. Kitchen table is probably the best place for me to do the transmission work. Transmissions are really finicky about dust, dirt & debris. That’s actually one of the reasons I’m doing this at home. I can control the environment, I cant control the environment at the space. Someone could go directly next to me at another table & do any activity that could cause foreign debris. The way I sold it to my wife is, Do you want me re-doing this in a short period because the environment?

The transmission shops I have seen in the past have a separate room where the transmissions are rebuilt.

1 Like

Anyone have any luck sourcing Merton V? I’m going to try Napa in the morning. Then if not, the dreaded dealer.

O’Reilly Auto

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/valvoline-5149/chemicals---fluids-16461/transmission-fluid-16649/at-fluid---vehicle-specific-13555/valvoline-transmission-fluid/merconv/4773329

2 Likes

Downside is that’s a quart. I need 17.7 quarts. I’m looking for gallon or 5 quart jugs. My Oreilly’s had just a few of the quarts.

1 Like

How soon do you need it? My brother is a manager of a transmission shop in the Lewisville area.

Did you ask for cases? We usually bought by the case…
And I assume you already know Amazon alleges to have Motorcraft 5qt jugs…
https://www.amazon.com/Ford-XT-5-5QM-MERCON-V-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B000NU67V8

It’s one of those things that I’m hopeful to need it the weekend. I looked on amazon but they are back ordered until the 18th. I asked at my Oreilly’s and that’s all they had at the time.

1 Like

Progress so far. Low/Reverse clutches. Then rear planetary ring gear & rear pinion.

1 Like

Yep. I use disposable pie tins. I also use assembly lube for the bearings and sealing surfaces.

No luck on the transmission fluid. They use synthetic.

1 Like

How about LIQUI MOLY ATF 1200 but it would be Monday-full synthetic, fully compatible for Mercon V.

1 Like

I called Napa, only quarts. Called the dealer, he acted like he didn’t know what I was talking about. I went up the dealer. He gave me a good price on the quart since i was buying so many. 6.29 a quart. He said he didn’t have 5 quart jugs.

2 Likes

I ran into a snag today. I need to get a different selective snap ring for my overdrive section. I’m about .080 with the new steels, tolerances call for .032-.058. I did have to make a compressing rig to get my Center support and intermediate/overdrive cylinder assembly in spot. I used 2” C-channel & 1/2” Acme rod that I had laying around.

4 Likes

Yesterday I finally got to replace my oil cooler o-rings, rebuild my turbo with new wheel. Took the old Up-pipes off in prep for my new bellows style up-pipes. Today I picked up a selective ring & installed. I rebuild the oil pump section with the Sonnax kit as well as work on my accumulator valve body. Tomorrow I hope to wrap it up. Then install Thursday night or sooner if things permit.

4 Likes

Best of luck, sir! :smiley:

2 Likes

Almoast all together. Last night I got the valve body, accumulator body & solenoid packs.

2 Likes