Training for the baby lathes ($50)

Howdy folks, I stopped by the makerspace the other day and noticed the machine shop had these adorable baby lathes set up. I was wondering if anybody would be able to train me on them? I have training on the colchester but I haven’t used it since, because I don’t know what i’m doing and i dont want to kill myself learning. I figure a smaller one would be easier to get into. If anybody is able to train me asap, i offer $50. Thanks.

1 Like

Google both Sherline and watchmakers lathes. You’ll find these ‘babies’ have a better precision than the Colchester. I wrote the class for the Sherline lathe which is a hands on class. I no longer teach at DMS so I don’t know when a class will occur in the current pandemic atmosphere. Probably when the election is over and the pandemic magically disappears.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s a tough question. There are four people who can teach that class, they are:

@John_Marlow
@BobKarnaugh
@Photomancer
and me.

I don’t want to speak for anyone, but I think Photomancer is recovering from a surgery, so he’s probably out.

I’m not doing much at DMS because my wife is immunocompromised.

I haven’t seen Chris (John_Marlow’s her talk handle) teaching the class much, but if she can do it she’s the one who taught me and she is amazing skilled in all things tiny.

Bob’s a great teacher as well if he has the time.

4 Likes

I hear you bro. Take care of family first

4 Likes

I physically won’t be able to teach until sometime in January (still required to use a walker for another month before PT for putting weight on both legs).

5 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Been there. Done that. Heal and feel better soon.

3 Likes

Forgot a lathe teacher unless I got booted from the process recently :stuck_out_tongue:

Assuming I’m not I can do a class on a sherline this evening for a lathe user when I drop off the panel saw (prior Colchester training will make it a shorter class).

I am hopefully dropping the saw off around 7. Poll lines are long

1 Like

I knew I was forgetting something.

Jim is a good teacher as well lol.

I’m apparently a glutton for punishment on sherlines too

1 Like

That remindsme:

Folks wanting Bridgeport (knee mill) training and Sherline Mill training:

• Would people rather have have two separate classes for the Knee Mils and the Sherline Mill, or
  • Have a combined class and get them over both at the same time. Probably be a 3.5 hour class. I can bring the Sherline over to the Bridgeport and do rather easily.

Personally, I think that would be too much for the student to handle. But you’d be the one teaching it so I’m not going to say no lol.

1 Like

Well, my suppressed sadistic pedagogical style may fulfill those desiring a masochistic mentor. I really should teach Haas classes shouldn’t I?

2 Likes

I would like to be trained on the sherline mill and/or the Colchester. If anyone is teaching these in the near future, please let me know. Thanks, Dan Wolf

I would also love to jump in on a Bridgeport / Sherline/ Colchester (any/all) class should any be offered and I’m also willing to help throw some cash at the teacher for their time.

Nick,

It might just be the folks working on the Sherlines that have more “precision”