Training Class- Metal working

I have some people from work interested in learning more about metal working, forge, hydraulic press, etc. Would it be possible to setup a class sometime in January for 4-6 people? I can get pizza for the group. I’m thinking a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday.

1 Like

I teach a blacksmithing class almost every Tuesday in the blacksmithing area. In it we cover the induction forge, the cutoff saw, the hydraulic press and the KMG grinder. It is a blacksmithing oriented instruction not necessarily metal shop, but definitely steel working.

Look for it to appear on the schedule in January.

2 Likes

I just posted the class for 1/10/23 at 7:00PM. Bringing food into the blacksmithing area isn’t a good idea really. No tables, etc. Could have it in the galley though if you wanted.
The cost for the class is $10. We will be making a chisel.

The Celtic brooch is our open forge project for January.

1 Like

Thanks Dan, Yeah, I took the intro blacksmith class a couple of weeks ago, and yeah that is perfect. The last class I brought in we had pizza in the conference room, gave a tour, and then we did the class. I’ll see who’s interested in the January 10th class. If it’s only a couple of people as part of the regular class I probably won’t do pizza. Let me see who’s interested and I’ll get them signed up. They are not DMS members so I’m not sure how I can sign up more than 1 person.

If you want to we can set up a special class for them. Typically though we don’t allow non-members to use the power tools. You and I can demo it for them though. Let’s discuss. I’m all for anything to bring more folks into DMS.

Sure, I did a similar class a month ago with my colleagues that wanted hands-on welding class as they were developing welding helmets as a new product line for the company. They all signed wavers and did a few minutes of MIG and TIG welding all individually supervised. But yeah, if we could do a special class that is tailored to being more a demo type of class that would maybe be better. Our pliers are production forged, but I think having our engineering’s experiencing handmade method is valuable knowledge.

1 Like