Tour guide introductory training

Hey makers,
Do you love meeting new makers and talk about your projects and ideas at the space?

If so, why not be a tour guide?

Every Saturday there is a fresh group of new makers who could use your insight and guidance to get them started.

The team will be leading tours from 10-12 on Saturdays. If you are interested in helping us out you can come and shadow a current guide to get the hang of leading your own tours.

Or if you are more tech focused you can help the guides with signups and badges in the common room.

This is a big help to the space, we need tour guides to help bring in new members, the more members we have the more money we have for new tools and supplies. Tours are key to the health of the space.

8 Likes

I should note, I will be bringing donuts for the tour volunteers and anyone interested in becoming a guide!

1 Like

I’m sure this has been suggested before and it was likely done before, but record a video of someone giving a tour. You may have to record several and edit the best of them together.

The product can serve several purposes:

• Training for new tour guides
  • Refresher as well as new ideas for current tour guides. Some may not choose to volunteer out of fear of not knowing enough
  • As a DIY tour for prospective members

Doug and I have about half a tour filmed. I agree it’s good for training and good for getting people in from.youtube, but we tried video tours during the social distancing phase of the pandemic and had a zero percent conversion rate, so we are hesitant to use it in place of guided tours.

I do think we could test having a greater in the lobby and a person in the common room and let people self guide through when there is someone to talk to and help them get started.

It’s definitely something we should test.

1 Like

I think Bill was suggesting that the film be used more as a training tool for the Tour Guides, rather than a replacement for a guided tour.

2 Likes

We used to bring pizza for the guides back on Thursday night.