Torque Wrench Rated Below 10 Ft-Pounds?

Torque spec for a transmission pan and filter replacement calls for 65-75 inch-pounds, or ~6 ft-pounds, give-or-take a foot. Or a pound.

I don’t recall ever seeing one in drawers or cabinets in the Auto area…do we have a torque wrench rated for that low of a torque?

I get that this more-or-less equates to “hand tight”, but: 1) I have a pretty stoopid hand; and 2) I just generally feel better following service manual instructions/specs.

@Team_Automotive, @sixshot357

I’ll double check our torque wrenches today and see if we’ve got anything within that range.

Harbor Freight has a cheapo torque wrench that goes as low as 5 ft. lb., though god only knows how good it is. https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/torque-wrenches/38-in-drive-5-80-ft-lb-click-torque-wrench-63880.html

1 Like

For transmission pans with a torque rating that low be sure if that rating is a dry torque or wet torque.

It has been my experience with M6 bolts on transmissions that even the rated 65-75 inch pounds will be slightly too high if there is oil on the threads and the bolt will stretch.

The torque wrench that DMS has is a bending beam type.

It looks similar to the pictures attached and should be in the drawer with the other torque wrenches.

2 Likes

Even if there is said torque wrench, has it ever been calibrated?

I’m good with my self calibrated feel in my hands when change my auto trans fluid and filter. Or manual gearbox oil.

1 Like

Yep…I’ve seen it, although I thought the beam style one we had was more heavy duty? Maybe it does rate as low as one in picture…not sure?

That’d be great…thanks.

So we’ve got two tools here that are rated for that task.

The smaller tekton torque wrenches are good for 20-200in.lb. We’ve also got the digital torque adapter which is good for 5-200Nm. Both of these live in the big green tool chest with the torque wrenches.

The digital one isn’t powering on right now, I’ll see if I can rastle up a new battery. The smaller ones ought to be fine, but idk when they were last calibrated.

1 Like

The little digital one was working pretty well in the past. We usually do not store it with batteries because it doesn’t get used enough and was getting problematic.

If I recall it’s just a cr2032, we might have some in the supply closet at the space, or if not they’re probably a couple dollars at a local gas station. I can also likely bring one in but I don’t know when all next be up.

Got it. I’ll check the supply closet today and if they’re in there I’ll leave it be. If they aren’t in there I’ll see about bringing one in tomorrow.

Edit: Nate informed me we have a smaller deflection type torque wrench that fits this range as well!

I’ve found the Tekron torque wrenches in this inch pound range to be decent. Cars are still working and no leaks anyway :wink:

I don’t think we have an CR2032 batteries in the closet or in Infra and will order some.

3 Likes

I’m late to the game here, but pretty much any and every 1/4" torque wrench you can find will have you covered there. Their bottom end usually ranges btw 10 and 30 inch-pounds, the highest I’ve ever seen as the low end on any 1/4" is 50 in-lb so even then you’d still be in the clear.