Tools Question: Ring Saw & Circle Cutter

Hello,

I know we have a ring saw, however do we need training to use the ring saw? I have access to a grinder elsewhere but there’s a possibility some of my glass cuts in the near future could benefit by using the ring saw. I want to ensure I somehow get the “training signoff” I need, if I need it.

Second, is there a circle cutter available to use? Cutting freehand circles is /kind of/ a PITA. So before I possibly consider ordering a circle cutter in the near future, I wanted to see if we have one available to use?

Thank you!

I know that in the recent donation to Wooshop where I assisted in the pickup the donor also donated some stained glass tools, which included a hole saw. I don’t know if it is in the glass working area yet, however.

1 Like

Yes, the saws and grinders require signoff. There is a drill press with circle cutters in the hot area to cut circles (same signoff as the other shaping tools)

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll post a separate thread when ready with hopefully an “attention getter” subject to see about sign-off.

I’ll be at DMS tomorrow Saturday after 12pm for just a couple hours. I will be happy to go over the glass saws, grinders, and sander with you.

There is a glass circle cutter in the top left drawer under the microwaves. No training is required for this manual tool.

Thank you,
Anita Willis

1 Like

Re: the glass circle cutter – what size circles were you trying to cut? The circle cutter starts a bit big. And, I’d watch a youtube or two on using it. Back when we first got it, the first try was a failure. I personally haven’t tried it since.

I can come up to DMS this afternoon, thank you! Do you want to meet at 12p in glass area?

I’ve watched videos on how to use them which is why I wanted to test using one before I buy or stick with the method I already learned for free hand cutting. I’m looking to do about 4" circles and above. I’ll try to check it out today and run up there if Anita will be up there.

I think the circle cutter tool lives in the top left drawer of the microwave cabinet, behind the little bins of tools.

Thanks! I was able to meet up with Anita and she showed me where it was and that is correct!