Tire repair kit?

Free is acceptable if the work is. NTB is a gamble in my experience…

1 Like

All garages are a gamble and unfortunately change as ownership changes. Picking a garage is an art and has many complications like make/model, type of work (e.g. just tires or rebuild engine?), price vs. experience, etc. I’ve found out the hard way that even the best rated, recommended, independent, oil change place can ruin an engine and differential. I suspect owner started refilling name brand drums without employees knowing it, but any thing related to low quality lubricants is hard to prove.

1 Like

Here is my viewpoint - based on factual life experience not you tube, not “what if land”
I’ve used the adhesive covered jute type plugs in the tread (not sidewall) in the past many times on car tires,(both radial and bias ply tires-the yutes here might have to “google” what a bias ply tire is) including snow tires - most of these were ages ago - long before the the internet. No failures, no delaminations - separation of the plies / tread after a puncture is usually caused by driving on a low pressure tire of flat vs a plug or patch.
But once again the “fear” is instilled by the tire dealers/tire associations in favor of the “inside patch” - often leading to other sales for unrelated services.
Too each his or her own.
I am all for safety - but I don’t support unnecessary fear

4 Likes

I have also plugged tires on my Excursion. No issues at all, I think it was 20k miles of travel before I replaced the tires. It is not a light vehicle either, 8400lbs. Additionally the tires are load range E. I’ve also put additional miles on those tires under heavy load by towing with extra tools in the back. This included some steel, welder, heavy ass tool box, plasma cutter and other what I feel as necessities. If I had to guess that would be an extra 1,200 lbs including the tongue weight, on the rear tires. Gotta love air bags.

3 Likes

It is certainly possible to create a test rig. A wag would say that properly inflated relatively new tire would be fine. Now if you took an under inflated tire and ran it down the freeway it might give easier. Or if it was an older tire that’s either dry rotted or just old, we might have a different story.

1 Like

I commend you for being willing to sacrifice your car in the interest of science! LOL