Tire repair kit?

Does automotive have?
Like this or similar?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-T-Handle-Tire-Repair-Kit-HDA60000AV/100059332?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=sGGzTBmKX|dc_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_111416414825_pkw__pmt__product_100059332_slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1srdy--01wIVhoqzCh223wPFEAQYBSABEgK-afD_BwE

Yes. Thereā€™s a drawer in the black toolchest full of tire stuff

1 Like

Thanks! :blankspace:

Disclaimer time!

I would not recommend using this type of patch on a road going vehicle. I would only do so in case of emergency. They are great for lawn tractor tires, etc. They are not a safe at highway speeds.

If you need to patch a car tire, use a mushroom shaped plug or an internal patch. Considering we do not have a tire mounting or wheel balancing machine, I wouldnā€™t recommend you do the latter yourself. Internal patches are the best solution and they typically cost around $20 to be done by a professional, including a re-balance. If you bought your tires, (read: they didnā€™t come on the car) most dealers will patch tires they sold for free.

Like any other repair or tool - if used properly, a plugged tire will be fine.

Why are they ā€œnot safe at highway speedsā€ ?

3 Likes

I think so. The screw I found embedded in the tire seems to be doing a very good job acting as the plug. :sob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmdG86ZQ-Co

This does look cool though I wonder why that white point needs to be used as it looks like it gets left inside the tire.

They are almost certainly of a different material than the tire. Different expansion coefficient. Tires get hot at highway speeds. Also, if air is trapped in the rubber, it can cause delamination of the tire (blowout). They will absolutely work, and I am not opposed to using them in emergencies, but you should get a radial patch before engaging in any extended highway driving. As with anything more cycles increases the likelihood of failure.

Lol, A friend of mine while wheeling cut a tire. He put a few truck plugs in the sidewallā€¦ He drove home from Daisy, Ok to Ft Worth. That same day I cut my tire, I put 21 plugs in mine. It didnā€™t make off the trail, but I trailer my Jeep.

Next time I cut a tire sidewall Iā€™m using this, but for a spare.
http://www.bustedknuckleoffroad.com/Vulcanizing-Compounds_c351.htm

1 Like

This one uses the reamer to insert the sleeve.
https://youtu.be/FtphCgcnDVs

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZPITSKK/ref=psdc_15706711_t2_B0018EUDHW

This appears to be the kit used in the above video

I donā€™t understand, after watching the video you posted, how this type of patch would not have the same issues. Can you elaborate?

Disclaimer, Iā€™ve never used the mushroom plugs. Doing a bit a googling it seems they donā€™t have a ton of people happier with the Mushroom plugs over the rope type plug.

Here is one post,

The rubber Mushroom Plugs have no Grip, No Glue and are, in my OPINIONā€¦JUNKā€¦ :wink:

When the plug is installed, itā€™s with high pressure only. The rope plugs have lots of glue/adhesive and donā€™t split like the rubber will. The mold release agent on the mushroom type plug keeps it from Vulcanizing to the tire. It will never bond with the Rubber surrounding itā€¦ :crazy_face: The mushroom plug is not the same rubber type as the tire. Two dissimilar rubber compounds will never Vulcanize . :nerd_face:

The rope plugs bond to the rubber surrounding it from the Heat with the use of Glue = Vulcanization = SEALā€¦ :+1:

The rope type plug works even with bigger holes,(if you ever use more than one in the same holeā€¦Replace the tire ASAP) because you can add more plugs to seal the tire. The mushroom plug is for a single use, and small holes. P/S ā€¦Itā€™s a failure at that tooā€¦ :laughing:

I have used the rope type for years. I have repaired numerous tires with the rope type and continued to use the tire until it need to be replaced due to tread wear out. Iā€™ve had the same tire with two rope plugs used in different locations, and the tire was still good until tread wear outā€¦ :+1:

Source: https://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/78236/

These are just opinions, but they do highlight some interesting concerns. Iā€™ve used the rope plugs most of my life and on standard car tire issues like a screw or nail in the tread Iā€™ve never had an issue with them even at highway speeds. One time I had to jam 3 into a hole to get it to seal, but it did. Replaced the tire when I got back to civilization a week later. Maybe there is a good reason you donā€™t see the mushroom plugs everywhere like you see the rope style?

Well one reason could be that the kit I listed above is about $50, while the rope plug kits are less then $10. From the video and such, they look like they would be mechanically sound as long as the hole isnā€™t too big. For instance in your example where you needed 3 rope plugs, I would guess that hole would have been too big for the mushroom plug to seal.

I am thinking about putting a new set of tires on my car in the next month or so. When I do, perhaps we can run some tests with my old tires before the switch? What do you think @TLAR

1 Like

There are also what are called boots. This is what I used after I sewed up my sidewall with high test fishing line. My neighbor told me about it & they use them for tractor tires. A boot is especially a giant patchā€¦

Because you need something rattling around inside your tire to remind you that you need to get a new tire?

Sidewall repair with a ā€œbootā€?

Hmm. I think youā€™re supposed to put your own glue on them, and if done properly, should ā€œvulcanizeā€ the pieces together.

I think any of these is fine. I use the rope style myself, but thatā€™s because itā€™s all I can do on my own because Iā€™m too cheap to buy the mushroom style. If Iā€™m feeling masochistic (or lazy) Iā€™ll have the tire shop do it (if you have pre-paid flat repair there, or feel like paying the $20, or if I can find a shop to do it ā€œrightā€ for $10.00 or so or less). Biggest thing, in my opinion, is to check pressures for the next few stops to make sure itā€™s worked, keep it in mind (so itā€™s not a surprise if it blows, for example).
I, too, have driven for years and many high-speed miles on plugs of the rope variety with no problems, but the right way is to have it plugged properly, and re-balanced. I loved it back when I had access to the equipment to do that myself. Wish I could get access again. Anyone on the Northside think we can start up a ā€œAutomotive Clubā€ where we keep this type of equipment for ā€œcommunity useā€; ā€œMakerspace Automotiveā€? Itā€™s in the dreampileā€¦

2 Likes

It seems like you would need to test to failure since the claim here is that the plugs are prone to failure. Sounds like you need an abandoned airport runway (ideally a large motor speedway), a stunt driver, jalopy car with custom fitted roll cage, etc. Maybe a good request for mythbusters?

1 Like

Or a really good compressor ā€¦

How is this trype applied?

https://www.amazon.com/STEELMAN-JSG381-8-Inch-Repair-Patch/dp/B00LB7GULO/ref=pd_sim_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=43D45HEXJP3JSWCCH09M

Does the tire need to be taken off the wheel?

1 Like

Well we could pick up an old rim and a tire. Rig up a device to rotate it (@TBJK), and place it on a steel plate that we heat up and run it to failure in one of the ā€˜repairsā€™

Yes, the tire comes off the roadwheel to apply that style of patch/plug. In short: mark tire & wheel for orientation of they are not already, remove tire from wheel, clean, buff, glue, apply patch according to manufacturerā€™s specifications (may require such steps as rolling to seat; may not), reinstall tire to wheel, inflate properly, leak check, balance, collect big $$.

1 Like

Or free the last time I went to NTB for a patch :slight_smile:

2 Likes