TIG welding assistance please

Looking for someone to help me weld up the ends of a number (12) of steel cable sections for making cable Damascus. Willing to bribe people with food / half-gallon growler of beer (you can keep the growler, but per new rules the contents must be consumed off-site) / a couple of the sections. Open to negotiations. I’ll be up at the space Friday night for the resin class, but can meet you pretty much any night after 7:00 PM.

(I’ve taken the TIG class, my skills just suck)

Thank you,
Andrew

1 Like

Does it have to be TIG or would MIG work as well?

1 Like

Not sure. We can test with MIG, I can heat it and twist and see if the welds pop. I know that TIG held, but willing to test the process.

1 Like

When are the welding classes? I’ve been trying to take one for two years. Don’t seem to ever see one on the calendar.

2 Likes

TIG or MIG?

All of the above. Welding 101

So I’m currently contemplating doing MIG on Sunday 11/24. Start the afternoon with the safety class, and then follow with MIG. Now that we’ve got a few more teachers, @malcolmputer isn’t doing the blow-out Every Thing In One Day (maybe once a month if y’all were lucky), so the classes are more spread-out.

1 Like

I need welding 101 as well. I did the Safety class today. Also willing to pay someone for 2 hours assistance to weld two octagons. They will be made from 1 x 2 14# steel tubing and approx. 36" wide.
Paul
@team_metalshop

I am very interested, but need something sooner if possible. Not sure if TIG or MIG but will need to weld 1 x 2" steel, 14# tubing.
Paul

I used MIG on my cable Damascus attempts: worked fine and you’ll lose the ends regardless.

You might also want to weld on a beefy rebar handle on one end. It makes working with the billet much easier. Thicker is better: more attachment makes it less likely to wear and break.

1 Like

Update to my request:
@malcolmputer was kind enough to walk me through the process and give me pointers on what I need to do. He welded a section as a demonstration, and guided me through welding another one. Just 10 more pieces to go.

Seriously though, a HUGE thank you to Malcolm for his assistance and patience. Now to see if I can replicate the results after a few days.

3 Likes