Tig Starter Kit

Hey folks, looking to get some of my own tig consumables, been using the spaces for awhile but I’m unhappy with the cup sizes and tungsten we have lol, perfect time to buy my own!

I was wondering what some good essential pieces are, I found this kit on Amazon and it seems good

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M12PHZZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A59OO3NF467ZG&psc=1

It’s got 2% lanthanated which I like using and a ton of various parts for $38. Does anyone know how well 2% does on general aluminum?

I’m also wondering where to get filler rods? Amazon doesn’t have a great selection so I guess one of the local welding shops?

What filler rod are you looking for?

I’m not sure exactly, don’t know enough yet. My welding needs are mild steel and occasional aluminum. In my mind I need the bronze colored stuff and the aluminum colored stuff :slight_smile:

You can get rod from Airgas or Metroplex. The smallest mild steel Joe Field Aigas carries is 1/16”. I bought my aluminum filler from them years ago, probably 10.

I go to Metroplex welding because it is close me. I just go in tell them I’m a noob, what I want to weld in terms of various materials have them make the recommendations. Then I buy what alloy they recommend usually in two diameters, about 1/2 pound of each, the cost of getting more and the hassle is worth less than the extra dollars - it becomes part of my ever growing stash.
The kit above looks like a good deal.

Wish the Plasmacam and Tig torches were the same, cut down on my parts inventory!

Ok I’ll go to airgas to get some aluminum and some mild steel of generic sizes, not too concerned.

1 Like

I bought some tig consumables that have been sitting in my trunk unopened for a few months now. Can unbox tonight when I meet up with you and gratis you a set in exchange for your help. I had asked Lee prior to buying the torch consumables regarding concerns about quality from no name suppliers - he basically said it doesn’t matter, consumables are consumables.

Going to get melted anyway! Thanks for the offer, see you tonight!

Alright so side question.

I was MIG welding under a car last night and I was having trouble getting the frame and donor metal melting at the same rate. I ended up making a nice grind, building a pool at slow feed speeds on the frame and then just dragging it quickly over the donor metal to blend them.

Thought it would be a perfect opportunity for a TIG welder, since I could get a nice easy puddle on the frame and then control my amperage as I blend it with the donor metal. Do they have hand controlled TIG torches? Is TIG welding above you extremely awkward? Am I missing some welding technique? Who knows!

1 Like

They do.
https://www.zoro.com/lincoln-electric-arc-start-switch-k814/i/G3517157/
Can’t really help with the rest. Complete neophyte, here.

When Welding, any type, you choose the amperage for the thinnest material that your welding. Additionally I will tend to concentrate the heat more towards the thicker metal as I’m welding.

Yes, welding overhead is extremely awkward, and difficult to get the best results. In fact, shipyards often lay out each floor upside down, and weld on the walls of the deck below, so it is a conventional weld, then flip the entire assembly over, position it on the stack to date for the module being assembled, and weld it down to the deck below. This way avoiding most of the overhead welding.

@LukeStrickland
Luke,
Inverters, such as the Lincoln, hate pure W (tungsten). I’ve been using 2% lanthenated. I hear the 2% ceriated is more stable than the lanthenated…I want to try some…The lanthenated doesn’t seem to ball under higher currents so you can grind the electrode to a super sharp tip and keep the point even at 200 amp…so you can buy 3/32 and sharpen it to a really sharp point and use for high or low currents…

I bought these…I like them a lot! And they were $20 cheaper than Metroplex…I like the guys there, but their price was too high to justify on these.
TIG Welding Tungsten Electrodes 2% Lanthanated 3/32” x 7” (Blue, WL20) 10-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013KZ2BIA?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Also, I’m strictly into gas lens setups…the amazon parts are cheap Chinese, but about 1/2 the price of the miller/Lincoln consumables and I haven’t been able to tell the difference. Get a stubby setup. You’ll like it for most of what we do.