Thursday night DMS tours

There has been a lot of talk about bringing back Thursday night tours. We love the idea and the enthusiasm so we want to support it.

To start tours we will need to align on a few things.

First, the timing. Does 7-9 pm sound good? It gives people time to get off work, grab dinner and get to the space but also doesn’t commit people to being here super late.

Second, we need tour guides, most of our Saturday guides can’t make Thursday night, but we could make it to a different night to do a tour guide training meeting.

Third, we need an infrastructure volunteer to help with signups and account/badge issues. So if you are interested let us know.

So if you are interested in helping DMS just respond here with:

• your name
  • if the times work for you
  • What night you can train on
  • What type of help you can give (guide or sign up support)

Once we have the crew together we can restart Thursday night tours

Thanks, James

One of the most powerful forces employed back during those tours was that the main committees had knowledable members available to take visitor’s questions, and many times actually lead the tours in the committee areas. This allowed enthusiastic tour guides to lead groups through the space without requiring them to understand all of the different committees.

This is very true, that’s one of the main reasons to bring it back.

Tour guides don’t need all the answers, they just need to know enough to introduce people to the committees they are interested in and get the ball rolling.

Hopefully we can get a few guides onboard and that will kickstart the process.

One of the things I think I learned from the few ‘unofficial’ weekday evening tours I’ve scheduled, is that fixed appointment times and registration has substantial psychological value. It seems to engender more of a commitment and preparation.

I was also surprised at the number of people who selected 5 PM vs 8PM. We have far more 5 PM registrations than 8 PM. A lot of people mentioned that they wanted to preserve a portion of the evening, particularly when they have kids at home. I sense that 6 or 6:30 PM is a sweet spot. Registration provides a lot of feedback on this, and also makes planning much easier.

2 Likes

That’s a fantastic insight! Perhaps we should look at that earlier time slot for tours if guides are available.

I’d certainly suggest it. Scheduled appointments may make tour guide plannin easier as well as providing some indication of workload - particularly at the end of the tour with signups :crossed_fingers:

Beth.
I could do 6:30 until whenever.
Is there something new and special that would require training?
Guide.

You and anyone who has guided in the past doesn’t need any additional training. If we have some veteran guides it will help us get rolling quicker since they can train people on the job.

1 Like

Any thoughts on when you might start it back up? I might be able to swing by on way home for a few weeks.

1 Like

As soon as we can, but we will defer to the guides who volunteer on when to start.

As of right now we have 2 previous guides and one new guide. If we can get 2 more I can start scheduling trainings and tours.

Would it help if I brought tacos to the training? :wink:

2 Likes

Any tour guide who is giving tours on Thursday evenings, if you get to Machine Shop & are unsure of things, I will gladly assist in explaining the Machine Shop. Just want to help with any apprehension someone may have about giving tours.

5 Likes

Ditto for Motorsports.

4 Likes

Your name: Meg
If the times work for you: I can do 7 - 9 on Thurs; good hours for my work situation :grin:
What night you can train on: Any, as long as it’s after 6:30PM
What type of help you can give: Guide or sign up support, but I will need training

1 Like

Thanks everyone! We have 2 veteran guides and 2 new guides plus several chairs who will be at their committee during tours. I think we are approaching critical mass! I’ll set up a date for training for the new guides and then we can decide when to kick it off!

Y’all rock!

2 Likes

Based on tonight, I can be up here anytime after 5:30. Had three people need to sign consent forms and get information within the few minutes I was here. Definitely should have some traffic once tours start back up.

1 Like

I’ve added a class to the calendar for a kick off meeting. It will be Thursday at 6:30. It should show up soon to sign up.

2 Likes

Ill be there. Also commit for the tours.

1 Like

Here is the class: Events |Dallas Makerspace Calendar

1 Like