Thunder laser usages

Hi, can the thunder laser be used to cut Acrylic Sheets

Yes, as long as it is acrylic and not polycarbonate.

At the bottom of this page are the DO NOT CUT materials.

Can I get a receipt for paying for the membership?

Thanks

Serge

I’m not really the right person to answer this, but when you sign up for your membership you should be able to go to My Invoices (which takes a while to load) and see any of your invoices. When you click through to the details (also slow), each will say UNPAID or PAID. That should be enough of a receipt.

You didn’t mention why a receipt is needed, but FYI, as we are not a charity or philanthropic organization, your dues are not tax deductible. I realize there are other reasons one might need a receipt, but this question comes up fairly regularly with new members.

It is fine. I paid out of my pocket, and the manager needs to reimburse me

1 Like

Do a screen shot if there isn’t a “print receipt” button.

As Marshal said, DMS is not a charity but is a Non-Profit with a recognized charitable purpose: Educational. But because individual dues provide an “enurement” to a specific person and a benefit conferred, not deductible. It allows DMS to not count the dues as taxable income.

Charities and Non-profits are giant black holes with lots of rules. DMS has ALWAYS taken a very very conservative approach in making sure we don’t run afoul of the IRS. It is one reason DMS has ZERO any employees, Directors aren’t even allowed to take personal Honorariums. There are very very few Makerspaces that have more than a few hundred members that don’t have an employee. Even when DMS had over 2,200+ members there were no employees. This makes DMS very unique and something members should proud of: All work here is by volunteers.

Note: DMS contracts out for housekeeping, bookkeeping, legal, and certain building maintenance contracts. But we do not allow any of their employees to be members.

1 Like

Hi
What training is required to use the laser?

Thanks

For the Thunder Lasers, there is an online course -
https://learn.dallasmakerspace.org/enrol/index.php?id=4

For the Fusion, you need to be certified for the Thunder Laser & take an in-person class.

What do you mean by this? Is this something you’re doing for a commercial use and you’re expecting your employer to reimburse you?

Please respect the fact that we are an educational not-for-profit. We embrace members, not “customers”. All tasks including equipment maintenance are done by unpaid volunteers and we do not expect to be a source of cheap equipment usage for local companies. If, on the other hand, you’re interested in being a participating member who stays on for a long time, meets people, makes friends, and helps out when things need to be done … then Welcome to Dallas Makerspace!

1 Like

I am prototyping, and I paid for the membership using my money. The prototyping is for my company. They would reimburse me.

Thanks

he is a customer wanting to use our dirt cheap resources.

1 Like