Thunder - is cutting 1-inch softwood possible? How about that kerf angle?

Would it be possible to cut 1" softwood (jointed/planed 1x10) on the Thunder? I know people have cut 3/4 plywood and the Laser Basics class said 3/4 is pretty much it. And would the kerf angle be really obvious from 3-4 feet away?

(edit: and I’m talking about an all-the-way-through cut, not just engraving, just to be clear)

Or am I asking for trouble lasering construction lumber due to resins - I don’t want to burn anything down (unintentionally).

I definitely wouldn’t do it.

Safety/burning issues aside, it would essentially make a bevel (result of light cone) rather than straight edge…right?

Right… I’m probably going to have to set it up for the Multicam. Which means getting off my butt and doing my test piece so I can use the Multicam.

Oh, woe is me, having to choose between two 5-figure CNC machines to make a silly wall hanging…

5 Likes

I’ve seen it attempted…I also saw it catch fire.

4 Likes

Do you have a picture of what you’re trying to do? I could help with the multicam

2 Likes

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/lisle-wall-art/s215151

Someone I know wants this… :smiley:

I’ve made an illustrator drawing based on measurements from pictures of the product. I just need to explode my pieces to account for the router bit kerf.

Seriously, though, I need to get my multicam test behind me - once I’m ready to go with the real item I may hit you up to make sure I’m not about to break the machine.

I’ve done 3/4 maple but that was a struggle.

1 Like

It only does 3/4 right after being cleaned and aligned, it struggles with 1" acrylic. The cone blowout was about 1/2" wide at the bottom on the acrylic sample they sent.

1" inch is not recommended on the laser

The cone blowout was about 1/2" wide at the bottom on the acrylic sample they sent

Yikes! Definitely crossing it off the list… Thanks!

What about resawing the wood using the band saw and planing them flat.

Then, after cutting two copies of the piece in question on the laser out of the ~1/2" thick pieces, you could glue them back together. You’d lose a little depth to saw kerf and sanding, but would be easier to cut out overall.

1 Like

Lol I love how all of us default to the expensive toys instead of grabbing a coping saw like normal folks. Yay technology!

If it were just one piece, sure. This is 30-some-odd pieces that need to be cut out and alike. I’m not that accurate with a coping saw!

Me either. Plus watching the laser is so much cooler. What about the multicam?

1 Like

That’s where this is probably headed. Once I pass the test and invent some time.

I need to pay It forward so if you want me to help cut it let me know…I am not super duper qualified but I can not break things pretty well

5 Likes

If this doesn’t exemplify the Maker ethic, I don’t know what does. Well done.

2 Likes

Fake it till you make it

More “I may not be an expert but I’m willing to help you 'cuz your project sounds interesting to me.”

1 Like