Thoughts on knowing when to empty the Felder

I think is still seals,. The only issue I see is the fulcrum… that lifts the bin… not sure how to fix the bin alignment of the been when you lift it into place… I know there’s adjustments to the rails but I haven’t search to hard or called Felder yet… I’ll make that a point for the next clean out

What window?? I’m not okay with cutting the Felder to put a window in… when we just really need to just empty the Felder daily, thanks for checking when you come in @dwolf

This is been the biggest pet peeve by a lot of members that give more of their time to maintain the work areas of the space, most don’t cleanup after themselves…

Putting a window in isn’t going to to trigger others to empty the bin… you know people are going to look see that it is full and walk away without emptying the bin.:

I’ve seen people walk away from messes…it gets old.

Good history. Perhaps a Talk thread instead of a clipboard? The incentive is likes :innocent:

There are already windows in the Felder bins. They appear to be covered up and sealed from the inside because they leaked or just got sucked off and ended up getting thrown out, at some point in time.

Putting a window in will not result in lazy people emptying the the felder. But it will make it easier for non-lazy people to see that it needs emptying and avoid dropping/raising the bin (which I do not like to do - it is hard for me to get it re-seated when I do it myself). I suspect that the semi - lazy will empty the felder more often when they see it full. Solutions to problems are rarely 100% effective. At the very least, a window will make my life a little easier.

3 Likes

So what I will take a look at the felder tomorrow and come up with a game plan. I’ll submit to Ian for his ok. Then I’ll schedule a time to do the work, probably early in the morning on a weekday when there is light to no use of the woodshop. I’ll post that the felder will be down on Talk and on the Felder at time/date to be determined at least three days in advance. I anticipate the fix to take 30-90 minutes.

Btw - I love the do-acracy of DMS - but I think all the efforts need a “monitor” (in the woodshop’s case we have Ian) to make sure all the volunteer activities don’t step on each others toes, are in fact good/safe ideas or run afoul of long term plans.

1 Like

The gasket we ordered is for the door. In this case I think @TBJK is suggesting a temporary/ repairable gasket for the window replacements instead of a more permanent/ non repairable solution like riveting.

1 Like

@TBJK are you thinking something like silicon or rtv? Or are you more thinking like cutting a rubberized gasket material?

Red rubber or neoprene gasket material. Just something that if you need to take it off, you can without cussing the person who used RTV or Silicone.

2 Likes

I would prefer red rubber or neoprene over silicon or rtv.

Do we have any red rubber scraps? I might have some old mouse pads which may be neoprene. I’ll check.

1 Like

An easy(somewhat) solution would be something similar to our old setup, where we’d have a red light and I would think run a vacuum line with a pressure sensor into the return fans shroud and once it hit a certain negative pull (around the same range that kicks the yellow light on, it cuts power to the machine similar to a breaker trip, and the red light comes on meaning once it’s full anybody in the shop now had the unavoidable task of emptying it because unless they emptied it when they turn it on it’ll just hit that vacuum pressure number and kick off! And it’ll be noticeable with the police cherry sitting atop! But how to make this happen is beyond my know how but I imagine a relatively simple Arduino for the controller but how to kill the power is another beast entirely, as I wouldn’t want it done where the machine receives power internally but where it pull power from externally but with it being such high amp input I don’t know if that’s feasible

2 Likes

Does the design of the current window allow enough compression to use red rubber/ neoprene? Are there holes for bolts or the like? Or are we going to have to drill those?

Hey Dan,

Careful using negatively loaded terms such as Lazy, especially when you don’t have direct reference to the action your labelling others as. It isn’t productive to solving the problem.

That said, Dan you are the kind of member Woodshop should be incentivising. The question becomes are you a single person outlier or are other members around with your same characteristics. To better classify those characteristics would you mind answering a few questions?

What makes you recognize or question that the Felder is Full and should be emptied? Given we have already proved it isn’t apparent at a glance, thus the replacing of the currently covered windows.

What about your use of woodshop makes you willing to empty the Felder? Example, are you working on projects that require you to do the work now, thus you have to get things working now?

Is the Woodshop your most used portion of the DMS?

My hope is if we can classify your use type, it would be easier to incentivise others like you. You also show a proactive and passionate response to Social Praise and being Empowered to Fix Larger Issues at DMS. Both of these responses are things DMS Committees and Leadership can likely incentivise without the needing money to make it happen.

For example, Ian could work with the Moderators to add a “Woodshop Steward” tag and gift that tag temporarily to members that show your level of help. That tag would likely give Dan’s comments a bit more weight in discussions on TALK around the Woodshop among the vast majority of members on TALK that are not involved in the running and maintenance of the Woodshop. It would also help Ian and other members keep track of the members most likely to be willing to help around the woodshop that also interact on TALK. Much like the “Chair” tags do on talk, but opening it up to lower levels of interaction and a larger group of members.

There is enough room. It might be wise to use elevator bolts on the inside to keep the bags from getting torn. There will be drilling required

2 Likes

I mean experience with the machine is obviously gonna clue you into insights people with les wouldn’t have! I can tell it’s getting full just by 1 how hot the exhaust air is cause that mean the motors working double time to pull vacuum and is fighting resistance so it heats up! But I don’t think it’s the lack of knowing when it’s full that’s the issue I think it’s the lack of people caring to check if it could possibly be full that’s the issue

Especially with the felder, by the point chip level is contributing to suction impact you are way past when the bin should have been emptied. A tool that indicates at that point would just train users to wait too long.

Generally speaking, I have found that there’s not a ‘good’ indicator of when the felder is full. Maybe Dan can correct me, that would be amazing.

Instead, what I find to be the best indicator is when arriving to work on the machines, I open the bin and look to see if it needs emptying. Likewise when leaving. If everyone would give it a once over when they arrived and left, it takes an extra 90 seconds and they would know if it needs emptying.

3 Likes

@Chris_Fazio what is obvious to one person is not obvious to all. Just read the earlier posts there is an issue with knowing the Felder needs to be emptied. Even the individuals with the experience to currently suss out the Felder is Full want that process to be easier. So that is not a point to discount in solving this problem.

Secondly, continuing to classify any that don’t empty the Felder as not Caring or Lazy with no evidence, further obscures a path to finding a solution. Try not to push unfounded parameters into the fact finding part of this. Even the thread that started this issue proved the individual that claimed fault for filling the Felder cared enough to accept blame.

Thank you for sharing this point, further providing evidence of an issue.

Since the windows are part of the machine, and referenced in the manual (section 7.2 page 31
) if they are leaking can we obtain any remedy from the manufacturer?

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Felder_RL350

1 Like

Possible, I can ask. I wouldn’t count on it, I would imagine we’re outside any warranty period and any solution they did have would probably take 12 months to get stateside anyway lol.

1 Like