Things needed in Automotive

@Kriskat30
Met with you briefly today near automotive. Thanks again for all you do. I do have some suggestions for the automotive group for purchases that would really help, since you asked. None are capital purchases, but more things that every shop should have. Hope this helps with planning. I also met Mathew today, and he seems to be doing a great job, so don’t take any of this as hating. :slight_smile:

• Extra Shop Air line. Not sure why there is only 1 for the entire automotive / general shop area. Love having one, not so great when multiple people need on.
  • 32 MM Impact Socket. There used to be one, but now is gone. Hard to do Wheel Hubs without one.
  • Spark plug sockets. These hold the spark plug so you can insert/remove it.
  • 6-8" C Clamps. Not sure why we don’t have these, but they are needed to squeeze brake calipers.
  • Air Gun - Somehting to blow dirt/debris off with using the shop air line. These are in short supply at the space. None in Auto.
  • Torx and Hex bits need replacing. Many missing sizes, and broken bits.
  • 5 lb sledge. Not sure if one exists, but I have never seen one.
  • Probably need to do an inventory of the Automotive tool box. Seems like many tools are walking off, or broken. Not sure how to stop this.
  • Wheel chocks?? I did not see these, but did not look too hard. Basic safety need. The floor is so slippery though, I don’t know if they would do any good.

BTW thanks to the committee for keeping things like brake grease, brake cleaner, anti-seize, etc in stock. Really helps with projects. This was my first big auto project to do at the space, and it was sooooo nice to be able to do it inside where it is not 100 degrees.

Thanks again for all you do.

There are 2-3 drops. Or were.

There was/are air guns in the toolbox but they tend to move around.

There is/was caliper tools in the tool box for doing brakes. If not they might be on the shelves.

The chocks, there are some behind the wheels on the bus but I think there are more.

1 Like

One necessary thing is to clearly mark the tools in the automotive green color. Also are all the tools the same or random brands? One thing Bryan G did which was good was to make sure ALL of our wrenches were Craftsman Brand. So on top of them being marked blue, they are easy to hunt down because they are all Craftsman. I know for a fact that there are a couple of HUSKY brand wrenches in our tool box. However there is no color on them, so it’s hard to say they are automotive’s or someone just left them.

Truth is we our tools walk off too. It’s sad that we have to resort to a tech school style “CHECKOUT” system but unfortunately we don’t have the manpower to have someone man the counter.

Just musing, I wonder if there’s a reasonable way to implement RFID locks on the tool chest. I feel like it’s possible, but I haven’t thought enough about the concept of a smart toolbox to speak to feasibility.

What I have been considering is coming in and cataloging all of the tools so we have a clear picture of what we have, what we have space for, and what could use refreshing, replacing, upgrading, or the like.

I flet like there were more drops too at one point, back when the air line was above the first aid box. There is currently only the one that I can see to the left of the lift on the ceiling. If there are others, then I’ve not been able to find. them.

There are air drops on the first aid column to the right of the lift, roboreel on the left near the workshop and one more floor roboreel near the gantry mounted on the wall.

The first aid column needs an air reel to use.

1 Like

Good to know. I never knew about the one on the floor.

This post was really about informing @Kriskat30 what I thought the area needed since she asked after overhearing me talk to someone else about locating a tool. I really appreciate that she took the time and interest to offer support. This list is also with limitted exposure in using the automotive area, and I’m sure others have more pertinent info.

Chocks to keep the wheels on the bus from going round and round… round and round…
:slight_smile: Sorry had to do it.

I didn’t even think to check the boxes on the shelf. I was looking for a C-Clamp. That’s what happens when you get too specific in your thinking. I’m sure there is a Brake Caliper box still there. Still a couple of inexpesive C-Clamps would not be a bad thing.

Why not direct your thoughts and request to the Automotive Committee chairperson, Tom (@tlar). That would make a lot more sense as directors don’t have the type of control and authority over specif committees that the original post is implying.

Better yet, attend the next committee meeting and say hi…

2 Likes

It seems like the Automotive category is a good way to communicate with the automotive team. Everyone is very responsive here.

Also I’m not sure Automotive has committee meetings.

Edit: Automotive meets weekly.

Tagging the chairperson is not a good idea, then?

Also: New Automotive Committee meeting evenings will be next Tuesday at 730pm

Why undermine the committee structure?

I’m sure there’s no malicious intent behind this thread. That thread is marked June as far as I can tell btw.

1 Like

Extra air line is in work - will be mounted on the lift, along with a work light on a reel.
32mm socket - I bought one the other night that was a 12 point in chrome for axle nuts.
There is an axle nut kit on the wire shelves
spark plug sockets are in the socket drawer - one of the drawers where no one seems to know how to put sockets and wrenches back where they belong.
C clamps can be found in the workshop near the other clamps that woodworking uses - it is about a 25 ft hike. (i don’t use c clamps when I do brakes)
air guns - upper right hand side on the top black tool box - they seem to walk - or get used in other parts of the space and never get put back,…
Hammer - go around the wall next the to cordless tools - hammers are right there.
I have a torx/driver set I need to drop off Monday or Tuesday.
There is a wood scrap bin in a pinch but I will pick up some more chocks.

1 Like

This is very true…

Ok. So… looks like I ruffled feathers. Sorry about that. I did say from the get go that this was just my observations and it is not to whine or complain or nag. Any assumptions of malintent/mutiny or Lanister-like conniving were misconstrued.

Please understand something. I was asked by Kris (in person after overhearing a conversation about how to return a tool I was lending someone) if there was anything that I thought that was needed in the automotive section. I promised I would follow up with her with a note of what I had problems finding. This is not a slam or hating or circumventing of anyone. It was a follow up on a commitment. If I knew of a way to send messages directly I would have, but I thought it more prudent to include others that are using that space.

Also, if I knew how to look up the chairperson, I would have copied them on this. That was not an ommision, just lack of knowledge. I could not find anything on the wiki that says who the chairs are, or how to contact them. I did look. I agree that this should go through committee like everything else, and since I’m not attending the meetings, then my opinion is basically worthless.

Having said that, it seems like the things that I brought up are already known, and the committee is already working on. Bonus!!

Stop reading here if you don’t care anymore, otherwise, a few responses to Tom and others whom I greatly appreciate taking care of so many things.

@mblatz we’ve met a few times, but there’s a ton of people, and I’m not there very often, but alway glad to meet again and say hi. I will attempt to make a committee meeting, but the space is about an hour away for me, and not as convenient to just drop in.

Tom. Love the idea of a drop light, and thanks for getting another hose reel. Did not know about the axel nut kit. Assumed the socket would be with the uhhh… sockets. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I did walk the 25 ft to the clamp wall in woodshop :slight_smile: , and there were no C-Clamps there either, only wood clamps. These are meant for holding not compressing. Mathew (Part of Automotive?? Shaved head with a pony tail) had the only C-Clamp around and was working with it in Metal Shop. Super cool guy. He let me borrow it for 2 minutes to squeeze the calipers. I’m sure that there are better tools for this, and it is my fault for not knowing to look for them on the shelf. Again, I’ve always just done it one way.

I did not personally look for the spark plug sockets, but the person in the bay next to me was looking, and could not find them in the drawer. Does that mean they don’t exist, walked off, or he is blind? Don’t know. I gave him mine, that I brought with me. Just an observation.

Found the air ratchets. That was never a problem. I was talking about an air nozzle, for blowing air. There is a broken one in the drawer, but none others that I could find. Again, the person next to me needed one, and we could not find it. I suggested to use the one from woodshop for 5 minutes, and return it. It is permanently mounted to the wall for blowing out the CNC machine. He was berated for trying to take something out of woodshop. #otherissues

I did find the 2.5 lb hammers that are on the tool wall. A 5 or 10lb sledge would be better for knocking out some bolts though. The only hammer in our toolbox is a deadblow. Since blacksmithing was moved offsite all the big hammers are gone. I was beating the @#!@ out of a rusty strut bolt trying to get it to give up the ghost.

Lastly if I can help inventory/label tools, let me know. Perfectly willing to donate some time here. I love the organization that was done to the wrenches and sockets a few months ago. That was brilliant.

Keep calm
Wrench on

2 Likes

Just a thought, but what about getting a set or two of ratchets and wrenches to put on the tool wall so people not in automotive stop using the “nice” stuff. Outside of automotive there are not any other places I’ve found to get basic hand tools like these, unless something has changed. It would lessen the amount of traffic around that toolbox.

Kinda like how we should not use the electronics’ voltmeters etc to do auto diagnosing. Which nobody ever does… :wink:

I like the idea of having just a surplus of wrenches but after seeing each committees messy drawer I’d really like to find a nice solution for organization. Any thoughts? Maybe a foamboard where a wrench only fits in one place?

The plastic wrench holders are the way to go, and if you hang them on the wall there is no drawer to throw them in. We have wrench holders in the autmotive drawers, but cough some people can’t seem to put them back and just throw them in.

1 Like

I’m asking because I honestly do not understand this, and would like to find a way to make the wiki and its treasure trove more accessible.

How did you look?

I am able to find most committees’ chairpersons (provided the info is up to date,and I know the name of the committee) in just a few seconds on the wiki. I assume this is because I know the drill with the wiki, and am unable to see how others are attempting to use it.

How to contact is…well…l sometimes challenging, but you would then at least be able to post that you know the name of the chairperson to whom you would direct this if you knew how to contact them…

There’s two in the drawer that are completely mangled. I tried sorting them into the holders the other day. Didn’t work. We are missing so many sizes