The Battleship Texas Restoration Project and DMS

All, I have a friend, David Peart, who is managing a Battleship Texas project to convert parts of the battleship into art. This art will then be sold when the battleship restoration is complete to raise money.
An example might be to take some of the battleships bulkhead and turn it into a hallway coat rack or to turn some of the planking into pens or other ornaments.

David has solicited artisans of all kinds to make things from the pieces of the ship that will not be reused on the ship. These primarily include metal planking, metal rivets, pine planks from the deck, and various other odds and ends.

There are also opportunities to volunteer.

If you want to be a part of the artisanal effort to raise money please send David an email at: [email protected] In the email tell him what you’d like to make, what materials you’d like and your contact info. He’s told me he has 25,000 pounds of steel to use and may get more.

Artisans Facebook group.

4 Likes

Here’s an excerpt from the Artisan’s Facebook page from David:

Good evening everyone!

As you saw in my previous post, we are very close to getting the reclaimed steel from the ship. It looks better than I expected, and we will sort through it before distributing to you to ensure you get the best pieces available.

Deck wood continues to be scarce. I have some, which I think is enough to do scales. Other projects needing deck wood may have to wait. The Battleship Texas Foundation knows we will use whatever they can supply, replacing the deck wood is just not in the budget at the moment.

I have ordered ‘prototype’ t-shirts for this group. I expect this first batch on 9 Nov. These shirts need to be earned, they will not be sold.

Before we start distributing materials I need some data from you. For those of you who are contributing to the ship through this effort, please provide:

1. Name

2. Town

3. Phone number

4. Email address

5. Your home forge/studio/business name and contact info

6. What you will build & donate

Please email all of this data to [email protected]. I will use this info to track who is doing what, and to generate an email list of participants that I will use to maintain contact with you about schedules, events, and other information.

To promote our local artisans, I would like to publish your names, home forges, and projects on our website, with links to your business if applicable. I will not publish this information unless you give me permission to do so. Please advise if you agree to post this information publicly.

As always, please contact me or Frank Machado if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks!!!

David

1 Like

One more pic of some ideas made from another ship that might inspire you.

2 Likes

This was forged from a large bolt from the Battleship:

4 Likes