Thank you for all help and guidance

I am sure this has been said million times before, but I wanted to extend my gratitude to @TLAR for helping me change coolant pump on my car.

More than just help, I truly appreciate his guidance.

(Perhaps, together we can convince him to start a few Automotive 101 classes :grinning:)

11 Likes

Weā€™re in the middle of rolling out a few introduction classes for automotive from where the tools are typically stored in the area, to basics of vehicle maintenance. keep an eye out for these classes on the announcement board!

3 Likes

Thank you.

I will keep an eye out for such introductory sessions. Very helpful to a newbie.

2 Likes

It was great meeting you and having you interested in doing the actual work on your car.

The time lost to finding the correct tools is an ongoing issue but Sam has made it much better! I wish Inhad brought my toolsā€¦ (the hose clamps alone is a good reason why i usually bring my own professional tools).

My next personal project is control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rods, front struts and mounts (not pre-assembled because I prefer excellent quality over convenience). ATF filter and fluid change, oil and filter and more.

This car requires the engine/transmission cradle or subframe to be lowered to complete most of these tasks.

If anyone is interested in (watching or learning) this will happen in the next three weeks ish.

5 Likes

Hey Tom. I have a buddy in need of a 2016 Cadillac DTS Northstar reseal. Think we can be cradle-drop buddies & just knock that out @ the same time?
(I imagine Tom knows Iā€™m kidding, but in case anyone is wondering, I really do have that need, and it really is a cradle dropper, but no, I donā€™t expect do be cradle drop buddies nor ā€œknock that out togetherā€. Northstar resealing is an ordeal in the best of circumstances!)

1 Like

Very interested in watching/offering a second set of hands if I could.

2 Likes

I draw the line with American cars, no thanks.

Give your buddy some time and his leaks will stop once he runs out of oil.

2 Likes

Andrew,
How about a trade: I will help with the Northsar (your friend must be a DMS member and be present of course)ā€¦and you help me with my 66 T2 - T1(split) to R & R the transaxle? I have a new zero mile freeway flyer but I have to transfer the axles and portal axles over.

Deal?

1 Like

I am also interested in watching/learning about the ball joints/struts/tie rods.

I have to confess, this is very tempting. I havenā€™t had an opportunity to do an R&R on portal axle Transporter (non-portals, you betcha!), but I do at least know what a gland nut is. I barely know what Northstar is, so I think Iā€™d be coming out ahead!
Sadly, friend is NOT a member, and likely wonā€™t be, not even for a deal like this. Also, zero time in my schedule for helping them do this, so theyā€™re likely on their own. They were headed down the ā€œtrade it in for a CT-6ā€ last I knew, and THAT, does not run a North*.

1 Like

Knowing what a ā€˜gland nutā€™ means you are above the rest!

I havenā€™t check to see where the date/ year split is - are my axle nuts 36mm or 46mm?

1 Like

This gets my best guess, based on the 66 being near the end of the portal axle run, when the 1500cc was standard. I read somewhere I canā€™t find again that 63 1ton big-nut brakes were standard for 64-67. But with a DOKA thatā€™s survived for nearly 60 years, in Texas, with lord-knows how many owners? Could be most anything! :smiley:

1 Like

Gland and nut is the same sentence is too much. Good thing you included the word in boldā€¦

Bill,

Next time you search Google or with my automotive dialogue, please let me know so i may see your results!

Good thing I didnā€™t discuss my freeway flier swing - axle trans with its portal - axles and one piece black boots and heavy lube ā€¦ letā€™s not forget the ā€˜drop your nuts in your bootsā€™ torque of said big old nuts to 265 pound feet of tightness. And if the tightness of the nut doesnā€™t line up with the hole, well then hammer a little more until you can peek through and insert your pin properly! Wiggle the pin(cotter pin) until fully inserted then split the legs and bend each one around the big nuts, and hammer the head back. Wash your hands and youā€™re done!

Your search results may lead me to drink!

2 Likes