Texturing with rolling mill

I’ve added a small rolling mill to my collection but cannot for the life of me successfully texture with it. General squishing I manage just fine…In most cases I’m working with annealed copper because I’m poor lol…can someone explain this magic to me like I’m 5? No amount of YouTube is paying off for this particular technique.

Also wondering if JSM have members willing to sponsor classes? I would enjoy teaching again, but can’t swing membership right now. I thought a series on making a locket and cloisonne enamel could be fun

(Formerly known as Mrs. Moose…she who lost her Discourse login)

1 Like

I can’t you’re rolling about every other month… I love the road I love the Rolling Mill please PM me and maybe we can figure out a time when I can get there early or something and maybe help you some with it. I can’t see the drive so I’m depending on others for transportation or otherwise I would just agree to meet you. I have eight extra class I believe Arabic Extra metal clasp I believe it’s on Labor Day weekend and maybe you could hang around it does take a little to get

I’m not there watching you do this, but if your *TWO sheets of metal are properly annealed, and they are flat, and the texture piece is sandwiched in between, and you tighten your mill properly, and crank it thru, it should texture just fine.

Possible problems:

• your metal is not properly annealed
  • your rolling mill is not adjusted correctly
  • the chosen texture is not robust enough to replicate on the metal- probably not that- I have used coarse sandpaper as a texture and it worked fine
  • ALWAYS use Two pieces of metal to sandwich your texture layer. If you use One piece of metal you can ruin your rolling mill