Texas near the bottom of states to live in!

Saw this on FB, I love maps.

4 Likes

Why don’t you marry one, then.

1 Like

Please tell that to all of the people relocating from California, Oregon and Washington as well as the Iron Belt states. I’ve love to see them all move North. The colder the better. :grinning:

2 Likes

No no no. I don’t want them screwing up Montana.

2 Likes

Be interesting to see what criteria this was based on. I see a lot of this stuff that is manure quality analysis.

1 Like

It’s simply location. They’re at “the top”. Just like Texas is at “the bottom”.

2 Likes

got me. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Somewhere an Australian is muttering about northern hemisphere bias.

6 Likes

Give Texas a break y’all! It’s carrying the weight of Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakota’s.

4 Likes

Oklahoma keeps us from sliding into the gulf because it sucks.

(My dad was born in Tulsa and that joke always pissed him off. I lived in Muskogee for two years and I assure you it’s not really a joke)

4 Likes

By this logic the top place to live in North America would be the Canadian Arctic
:ice_cube: :ice_cube:

1 Like

Canada has provinces and territories while this insightful infographic is clearly about states.

2 Likes

Semantics…
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Unabashed pedantry at this point.

1 Like

But claiming northern Alaska is the top place to live in the US would raise some eyebrows.

1 Like

Although, depending on how pedantic you want to be, are we measuring by latitude, or by that map representation? If by the map representation, Alaska isn’t even one of the top states.

I considered if projection was the appropriate word, but I suspect it has more correctly has to do with how the distortion of sphere to plane maps, than where disjoint segments are inserted into the page.

Shoulda bought Greenland when we had the chance.

1 Like

Hey! This is 'Merica! We rarely buy territory.

No. Like all other tribes, we just conquer and take it.

I’d bargain that we’ve bought more than any other tribe has in history.

IMG_6338

Plus Alaska.

1 Like

Exceptions being the Louisiana Purchase, the Florida Purchase, Alaska, the Gadsden purchase from Mexico, the Mexican Cession, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Philippine Islands. By Cession, a treaty agreed by both parties with no money changing hands, we acquired Texas, the Oregon Territory (listed as an occupation but in the end there was a treaty with the U.K.), Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa.

2 Likes