Test the waters on upcoming projects in the blacksmith room

Howdy y’all,

Over the couple months I have gotten a lot of feedback on what we can work on in the blacksmith shop. With that being said I’m looking to move forward with some of the work. From projects like building new tools, Damascus and sand casting. While I’m not a professional blacksmith I am interested in making some awesome stuff that we can introduce to our side of the space. I’m wanting to have a class/get together to work on some of these items. Plus I think having a forging date would be a good time. Let me know what y’all think and if you have any cool ideas on what you know how to make or want to let’s chat and see if we can make some sweet pieces.

IMG_8672

IMG_8296

Like I said earlier I’m no expert but would definitely like to be.

3 Likes

To get more in-depth on the subject on blacksmithing. I have done a bit more digging on the subject of sculptures and ornamental iron and would like to get a few people interested enough to be able to develop something similar to these pictures below. These are made by an experienced blacksmith in Sweden that has his own shop and lots of years in the craft. With some help I think we can develop something similar to these with a few people interested and a little bit of time to prepare for drawing and getting supplies for the project. I would like to keep it simple and start with adding some intermediate classes on the event page to begin building the skills to develop such a sculpture. From shaping square or round iron and developing the basic shape of the legs and arms while including the toes and fingers. This will be something I will put some time into these next few weeks. I can go at it along or bring a few interested craftsmen with me and hope to build a beautiful piece we can showcase in the front room for visitors!

4 Likes

Im not a smith, just a stock removal knife maker. Bit would not mind learning a bit of smithing to make some smaller stuff, and the induction forge to melt and cast some copper items. Nice work in your photos!

We don’t do any metals in blacksmithing but iron. No copper, aluminum or other metals. Sorry.

And, you have to flux molten copper, or it’s supposed to be super “jumpy”. Decades ago, the big copper companies (like Kennecot) got fresh logs to stir the mega-vats. I’m assuming that somebody has turned that fresh sap active ingredient into a powder or commercially available liquid by now. I am assumed that bronze, an alloy of copper and tin mostly, doesn’t have this issue.

Yes we have talked about sand casting for some time. We have a few things for casting but it is very far in the safety side. Many have agree it would be one of the most dangerous areas in the space. I’d be glad to teach you some about blacksmithing. Should have some more classes pop up next month for beginner and intermediate level work if interested.

1 Like

I’ll keep an eye out for the classes thank you. Now if I can get a surface grinder class I’ll be really happy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got one class tonight at 7 pm with one open spot last I checked. As far as next month I have some that will be posted within the next 48-72 hours that will be entry level and slight more advanced intermediate level classes. As far as the surface grinder I’m aware on how to use that machine and I’m checked off on it but I’m not comfortable teaching that would be in @Paul_Morley hands. Ask him and he might be able to set you up with that class.

Thank you. I guess I missed that one. when I checked the events calendar I saw full and then missed this message. NO worries though. I’ll catch a class as soon as I can. thank you!

1 Like

Classes are live. Be sure that you sign into the Calendar so that you get your permissions set – in the far right corner of the top bar it says “Log in”. That’s your username and the password for your DMS account.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/20249
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/20251
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/20248

1 Like