Test Firing Crew Needed, Tuesday 25th 9pm

Would anyone be able to crew for some final testing before the competition? I am thinking Tuesday at 9pm, which is not ideal, but need to both complete more construction this weekend first and test it before competition with enough time to fix anything that comes up.

Meet at DMS at 9pm to load up stuff and we will drive a short distance to an undisclosed open field nearby.

5 Likes

I’ve never been arrested before - but being charged with firing a trebuchet within city limits appeals to the anarchist in me - sounds like it would be fun and a challenge. I’ll try to make it - should we all wear black?

4 Likes

I can usually help around then

There are no signs saying no siege weapons at the location I scouted… I’m betting it’s very unlikely we will get in trouble, I will take responsibility if anything happens.

2 Likes

Those fools at city Hall should have foreseen such a thing.

2 Likes

I’m sure it’ll be for littering, loitering, etc. Oh, you can’t take responsibility for someone’s knowingly (we are presumed to know all the laws) criminal acts … if so I’ll gladly throw you to the wolves. Ratting you out for immunity isn’t beneath me since you’ve offered yourself up.

I can’t imagine why cities aren’t actively bidding to have us relocate to their jurisdictions. If for no other reason than discovering gaps in their ordinances.

1 Like

Hmmm…is that what all those glow sticks are for? Attach to “projectile” and hurl across field in the dark. Interesting.

I will volunteer to pick you guys up from jail.

2 Likes

The biggest risk / danger is someone getting hurt from the machine malfunctioning or someone dropping a weight on their foot. I’m not worried about police coming by and telling us to stop what we are doing.

Yeah, probably your looking at worst case being asked to leave. If you don’t leave they would just get you with trespassing likely.

Oh, but if the field is in Carrollton, they have thought of and covered such things…

The firing the other night at DMS and this one (if in Carrollton) was and will be illegal… But I doubt anyone will care or presecute…

Fill those pumpkins with flower seeds. We will be improving the area!

A trash bag and policing up any mess would fit our credo of “Being Excellent”

Seems to hinge on how they define “shot” and/or “other solid or compact substance”. “Shot” generally means a bullet-like projectile measured in a reasonable number of grains (ie less than 1000) rather than pounds. The latter term is going to be like the argument on the second amendment 's well-regulated militia clause but does suggest something akin to shot if you’re feeling especially sophist.

But being law enforcement, they can work with generalities and - pardon the pun - throw your case over the wall to the DA for specifics.

1 Like

At least it will be the most awesome ticket you’ve ever received. “Discharging trebuchet within city limits”

4 Likes

Is Texas an Open Trebuchet Carry state? I live within 100 yards of several schools, in fact a bus stop is at my house (live on corner), will I have to put a sign on my yard “Registered Medievalist”. Maybe even be forced to move?

But I agree with Chris, what would an employment background check look like that came back with “Unlawful discharge of trebuchet within city limits” listed. You’d probably get an interview just to find out what happened. I know I’d frame mine and have shirts made.

1 Like

Angle for “siege engine” instead of “trebuchet” and they’ll virtually HAVE to interview you to find out what kind…

I think they’d frown on canon shot of any sort, which might be measured in pounds…
'course, that’d likely get you ticketed without any actual projectile, I would think.

I’ll be there

They’d probably make you sit on the Group W bench …