Terminology question

Is there a machining term for what woodworkers would call a “rabbet” (joint)?

A rabbet or rebate is a recess or groove cut into the edge of a piece of machinable material, usually wood.

1 Like

Not trying to be cute, but generically a “feature”. These are what I’ve seen them called on machined parts, casting, or forgings

• Dado would be slot (if open at least one end otherwise a pocket) or if small may be a groove.
  • Rabbet would be step, if not continuous maybe an ear. If larger/wider a flange. On a heavier part maybe “Ledge”

I don’t recall ever hearing or seeing “official” names, But Slot and Step would be the colloquial terms and used when referencing a specific feature not named. Otherwise referred to by its function: “track slot”, “recessed panel lip”, etc.

Only a very few features have official names in GD&T: Spot Face, Counter-sink, Counter-bore, Chamfer, Taper, Hole, Cylinder, etc.

Sheet metal tends to have more formal industry names: Joggles, Bends, Beads, Flanges, Stiffeners, Fingers

Not much help, but at least in machining things tend to be just pointed to on the drawing by zone.

2 Likes

generically not that I can think of. think of it more in terms of the toolpaths that are laid out (especially these days where CNC is king).
The Dado is basically a pocket despite that it goes past the end of the material or perhaps multiple straight line (profile) cuts. Same for the rabbet - it is just a profile cut whether done with a wide endmill or in multiple passes. If I was doing this on a manual mill I’d probably use the same terminology.

Some of this may just have to do with the history of the features in woodworking where a hand plane was probably used. A rabbet is defined as a ‘stepped cut’ along an edge. In fact I’d have no problem referring to it as a STEP when looking at a blueprint.
A dado generally refers to some sort of groove. But I’ve never heard of a cut like that while machining referred to it as such.
–edit–
After re-reading @Photomancer 's reply - I agree that SLOT is probably the best description of dado.

1 Like

Rabbet is the word describing the shape. The form is not used in metalwork because it is inefficient in the metal environment where thermal processes are available.

Ah. Makes sense.

I’m using it in my metal work as an alignment mechanism (at corner seams) to overcome skills issues. I have little confidence my thermal joints will be straight/square without this type of alignment aid.

:slight_smile:

Well, you do often work at a size that others would consider swarf. And tolerances that many would swear is a misprint.

1 Like