Television repair

Does anybody know how to troubleshoot and fix modern televisions, or know of any resources to fix them.

I am interested in this as well.

I’ve seen some good youtube videos on the subject. Depending on the device and issue it may or may not be worth fixing but fun to trouble shoot and try!

It’s heavily dependent on the symptoms and display type. A lot of problems are connectors and power supply related. Those can often be fixed.

A big problem with modern TVs is that they are not intended to be repaired, so very little service documentation is available. This is somewhat brand dependent, with the majors being somewhat better than the rest, but not much.

1 Like

I fixed one about 10 years ago which was notorious for bad capacitors. I would look it up on YouTube and see if it’s a common issue

1 Like

A major resource would be Electronics Office Hours at Dallas Maker Space. Take the TV apart and look for simple problems like loose connections or obviously burnt out or damaged electrical parts. Bring what you have to Electronics Office Hours and consult with Rich Osment. There is no guarantee that it will be fixed but, for sure, you will learn something about fixing televisions (and other electronics). And you might end up with a working TV.

I’m interested too.

I’ve got an older TV in need of repair (new board?), but I’m reluctant to fix it.

I worry that: (i) it might cost me more than I realize in excessive electricity costs over the next few years, (ii) new TVs keep getting cheaper for equivalent size, (iii) that old TV might be breaking sooner-than-later again, and (iv) old parts might be pricey and sketchy.

If anyone has any recommendations (or insight) as to whether and how to move forward, I’m all ears.

All your concerns are potentially valid. It’s likely you can answer most of them.

I’d start by doing some internet searches on the model number. Look for service information and advice from other owners. Common failures and their repairs are frequently documented. Take a look at the manufacturers data page for power requirements and other relevant specs.