Technician class being offered by Plano club

Save This Date: HAM RADIO CLASS

The Plano Amateur Radio Club will be presenting a Technician level amateur radio class on August 12th and 13th,2017. The class will be held at the Lucas Fire Station training facility. The fire station is located at 165 Country Club Ln, which is just north of Bethany/Lucas Rd, in Lucas. Lucas is located just east of Allen, TX off of US Hwy 75 at the Bethany Rd. Exit.

As always the class is free, the EXAM is $14.00 cash. We are looking at a timeframe of 8:00am- 5:00pm on Saturday and 9:00am- 2:00pm on Sunday, with the EXAM starting at 3:00 on Sunday. Parking should be available on the south side of the fire station. A government issued photo ID will be required to take the exam on Sunday afternoon (FCC Requirement).

Other amateur radio class exams (General,Extra) will also be available for those wishing to take those exams. You need to bring a copy of your current amateur radio license.

To prepare for this class, we urge you to pick up a copy of the Ham Radio School’s Technician Class study guide prior to the class, and read through the course material at least once. You should not expect to just walk in to the two day training class and grasp all the necessary information to successfully pass the exam. But, if you prepare by reading through the study guide, and marking any items that you have questions about, and then pay attention and ask questions during the two day training class, there is an excellent probability that you will pass the exam with a high score.

These study guides are available locally at the Ham Radio Outlet store 701 E. Plano Parkway Suite 406, across the street from Fry’s Electronics in Plano. The cost for the study guide should be $19.95.

To register for this class, or if you have additional questions, please send an email to Mike Pruden at (NN5ZZ at ARRL.NET). Please provide your NAME, EMAIL ADDRESS, and TELEPHONE NUMBER.

3 Likes

Any chances of an EXTRA class in the area?

This is the best way to find a class

http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-class

That said it is rare that I see a class for anything other then Technician. All of the Extra’s I know did a self study program.

The Extra exam is the hardest of the three, but not terribly hard. It is possible the learn the test, without knowing the material.

The ARRL study guide is a good one, and qrz.com has great practice tests.

For extra, if you don’t mind paying more for access to the material, practice tests and adaptive instruction, I liked the approach of http://www.hamtestonline.com

It gives you a page of material that is actually in the question pool, then follows it with the questions in the test pool that relate to that material. Then on to the next page of material. If you miss questions, now, or later in practice tests, it brings them back at the start of future sessions until you are consistently getting them right. And any time you are looking at the questions, you can click a link to go back and read the source material.

It even points out a couple cases where the official VEC answer is actually not the most technically correct answer listed for the question.

My experience was that it took me from getting 50 to 60% on the QRZ practice exams to consistently 90%s on theirs in a few weeks, and acing the exam.

That said, I do know someone working through the tech version on that site, and has found a couple questions that they never presented the material for, but still likes their approach.