Team Amateur Radio - HamShack Updates

@Team_Amateur_Radio - I’ll keep updates and project notes in this Thread.

@artg_dms, @richmeyer - This is the new proposed location for the new floor marking tape. It was measured 38" from the transformer and 36" from the power panel.

We also took an antenna inventory and labeled the antenna in the shack. The next step will be to identify and record the rest of the gear. Let me know if this should be placed in the wiki/confluence.

Thanks, @artg_dms, @kbraby, @jsnowfreedman, and @Evan_Lott for the assistance today!

KI5TBN

4 Likes

Correction, since I was manning the tape, it is 48 (probably was a typo) inches from the face of the transformer, and the 36 to the panels is correct but will add, measured from the furthest forward handle.

2 Likes

And Jerry, thank you for getting this posted!

Thank you to everyone who helped with the antenna inventory today!

2 Likes

You’re correct. It’s a typo transposing from my notes. All mistakes with any data above are mine :grin:

1 Like

Per the National Electric Code… a 480 volt transformer requires 48 inches of clearance and the 220V Power Panels require only 36 inches in front of them. There is no requirement for side clearances. No storage in these marked areas, but a chair on rollers is okay.

Back in the corner I saved some overhead ladder rack material to add above the Ham Radio equipment. There is already a bracket mounted on the wall to the right of the Antenna Junction Box for this reason. It would keep all your antenna and power lines off of the floor. Enjoy your new Ham Shack.

Suggestion. See if you can move the huge safe back in the corner to the right of the 480V transformer, if it fits, as it would give you more usable space.

2 Likes

So presuming we have the measurements correct, the blue line would be a correct interpretation of how we can modify the outside corner of the current markings?

That’s a great suggestion. I’ll measure it when I’m out next. Also, if there’s no disagreement, I’ll sweep and mop that room so we can lay down the new tape.

Perfect! I have created and started adding tasks to a backlog here: https://tasks.dallasmakerspace.org/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=12&projectKey=AR&view=planning.nodetail&selectedIssue=AR-5&issueLimit=100

Feel free to add some tickets, or if you DM me here, on discord, or reply to this thread I can go ahead and create/add descriptions to them.

Later today I will be going through the tickets and making a dependency tree to try to figure out what else should be worked on first.

If you plan on working on one of these tasks, can you please either assign the ticket to yourself or let me know so I can properly assign and move the ticket to in-progress.

As a note on these:

• Tasks can have an estimated time to complete - if you know or have an idea on how long a ticket should take, please feel free to add an estimate to the ticket. (I recommend adding an extra 10% longer than you think though)
  • I am still working on making components and labels and stuff to help Infra know what we need help on and such
  • I will (On Monday probably) start a two week sprint, just to help us focus on specific goals and keep things moving - there is of course no penalty if we can’t get things done in that time, but I at least find it easier to focus then)
  • Not everyone has write permission to confluence yet, working on getting access to that - otherwise we will just use the Wiki for now, and at least keep that updated so it will be easy to migrate over to confluence later)
4 Likes

This is great! I’ve added tasks to the backlog and added comments where I could provide clarity.

1 Like

I currently don’t have access to jira, etc. to see your lists. (Putting in request.)
Recommend putting sorting through the pallet rack parts near the top. It’s a major build for the Shack. The 3 ft blue ends are rather obvious. The the corresponding cross member are the white(?) ones buried in the next stack over. Need to make many measurements. We’ll need to coordinate w/ Blacksmithing - They have some of their equipment in front of the ends stack. Need to clear area around the stacks so stuff can be moved around. Boots and gloves might be a good idea. Fun times ahead.

Are there any code issues w/ putting windows and vents in the double doors to Pwr Rm / Hamshack? Double doors to Blacksmithing? Question has come up in various conversations.

Hmm your login should be the same as the Forum, and I believe everyone in DMS has default read access at the very least. But if you don’t have any luck I can also poke around and see if I can find any permissions that might be the issue.

Your login is the same as the wiki and your computer login.

Yup - just tried that and works. :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks

Strongly suggest you check with the Fire Marshall to get the correct answer. His office is at the Fire Station in the old downtown area of Carrollton, near the Beltline and I-35 intersection.

Past actions of certain members has made going to Fire Marshall without permissions a no-no.
Will run this up through the proper channels.
And prod it along as needed…

How should this task be prioritized? It would be nice to have a vent and window, but is it required?

Updates:

• I have added Components to the various tickets - I am using these to keep track of what groups or special considerations might apply. You can filter for tickets that use said components to find tickets that require infra help easily. I’ll be adding these various components as quick filters so that people do not need to remember the search queries to find:

• It looks like the best way to handle leadership discussion is first to post on the forums and discord and see who is interested in it. If more than one or two people want to be the leaders, then we should probably hold a little bit more of a formal vote (maybe at the end of the month/middle of next month)… otherwise, the two can handle it like mature adults and figure it out. In the meantime, I’m willing to take on the role to keep things moving until leadership is officially sorted out. (I will be making a separate Talk post in an hour or two relating to this).

• As far as fire code and other municipal code stuff - we should probably create a list or document somewhere to keep track of all questions for the fire marshall/to research so that we aren’t going back and forth with different requests. I can create a Google Doc for this and share it if we would like. Either that or we can keep all these questions in tickets and add a component for Compliance or something. Suggestions welcome.

• I have not yet had any luck gaining access to confluence; I will give it another day or two, and if I still do not have access, we can use the existing wiki to at least get things updated.

Question: Does anyone have the required tools to properly terminate the N-type connectors for the junction box? If someone has the proper tools, it should only take a few minutes per cable to terminate - but we will also need the actual N connectors. I am unsure if the AR or Electronics group already purchased said connector, but if not that will be a pre-requisite for that ticket (@artg_dms these should be around 5$/each (40$/total) I think. If we do not have them, is this something that can be paid for by electronics? If not, I’ll donate them in a week or two.)

As it is currently looking:

• Jerry is handling getting the initial antenna hooked up.
  • I am trying to figure out the logistics side of things… getting tickets/etc.
  • We need a few people to volunteer soon to help move/put together the shelves: AR-5. This should be done soon if possible, although this weekend might not be an ideal time to try to plan for, as there is the cowtown hamfest going on. If you are able/willing to help with this, please reply here or DM me or comment on the ticket letting us know, and what your availability is if known.

(Also I don’t think the door vents/windows are a super high priority… we need to get the keypad and everything else set up first. Until then we can just keep the door propped open if someone is inside and we are at all concerned about it.)

73 Josh

Consider that unless someone confirms otherwise, we probably need to terminate the top ends as well. I have not heard of these existing so far. But if you find a mouser listing link for the connectors, Art should be able to order.

I believe I have a crimp set that should do the outer crimp for LMR 400 class cable. No clue if the center pin will be soldered or crimped, and I never quite know if this kit has the proper center pin crimp size.

Let’s put together a type N connector kit - connectors, crimp tools, other tooling, etc. Guessing connectors are spec’d for different diameters of coax. Send me links and I’ll get it ordered.

About the shelves/pallet racks (AR-5). 1st step is to see what we got. Estimate 2-3 hrs w/ 4-6 people. Do the white cross members work w/ blue uprights? Length of cross members. Usable length along wall in the Shack. May need to cut/weld cross members to fit. Or shop for shorter cross members. Lag bolts on the floor and multi point ties to wall w/ 2-3" offset.

Before moving stuff into the HamShack, there are some security issues that need to be addressed. Cable runs (AR-12), rfid reader and door lock, install 1-2 cameras.

I’m looking into how to get Fire Code info.

1 Like