Teaching pottery classes

Hello,

Before putting up a ceramics class, is there anything I need to know or do? Does the committee have a syllabus instructors are required to go over?

Thanks!
Michael

3 Likes

Hi Michael!
Love that you’re going to flex your pedagogical muscles. Yes, I have a group with best practices, suggestions, syllabus templates etc. Stay tuned.
asc

2 Likes

Okay- please double check and make sure you’ve been added to the group Ceramics Instructors group. Suggest scanning the info and discussion in the threads. Reach out to me if you have any student issues or concerns. :slight_smile:
asc

2 Likes

I got it, I’ll look through and let you know if I have any questions.

Thanks!
Michael

2 Likes

:heart_decoration:

1 Like

haha thanks! I’ve been seeing more and more pottery newbies struggling and want to give back to the community

5 Likes

While Amanda mentioned checking to make sure you’re in the Teacher’s list, that’s not really necessary in Ceramics. Only the Ceramics 100 creates an AD group (usually), and the Calendar doesn’t care.

For instance, I’ve been teaching sewing classes for a long time. That assigns an AD group, but I’ve never tried adding anybody manually because it’s not required anywhere. So, I tried to add somebody the other day (because I thought I might work on keeping that group up to date) and discovered that I’m not authorized to add folks! Which means I’m not on the Teachers group.

So, until we get some structured thing where you need to have A before you take B, you can teach the classes. Even then, it will only matter if you’ve got a student that’s not in the class group, and you have to add them manually. (edit)

Side note: if your class does assign an AD, be aware that you have to check attendance AND SAVE, and check the AD group AND SAVE. First thing I did an AD class, I clicked the attendance, then I clicked the AD group, and saved. Then I wondered why I didn’t get my honorarium, and it was because I didn’t save the attendance.

Hey Michael, please make sure that you are giving your newbies the information about labeling pieces and how our shelving system works.

^No name and date is in danger if being tossed.
^30 day max

Met one of your students who didn’t have that info, so I wanted to make sure it is part of your classes.

1 Like

Man! I’ve been off Talk for way too long. I didn’t realize you were teaching now. Awwwww…so great seeing the student become the master and teacher. I remember your first pieces! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Now I want to see some of your new stuff! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: