Taking apart plastic toys

My daughter recently bought a Chinese knock-off of a Dr. Who sonic screwdriver. Unfortunately, their is no battery compartment. Instead, the batteries are inside glued plastic. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to take apart glued plastic pieces?
Thanks,
Jimmy Tanner

Don’t suppose it’s one of those covered in this video?

If yes, YAY!
If not, some pics might help.

So . . . how much better do the “real” ones work?

1 Like

I’ve had some good success with a slitting saw on the Bridgeport. You can get a thin saw, slit the area you want to come apart and glue back together after. In my case I didn’t need to reassemble the part that was ultrasonically welded together but the cuts were clean enough I could have.

The first screwdriver in the video is the one we have the knock-off of. In the video, you can see there is a battery compartment with a cover that can be removed and the batteries slide out. In the one we have, the batter compartment is glued shut. There is a very small opening, but the batteries do not fit. Please see the attached photos.

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

Without touching it, I’m guessing, based your words & the pics, that the bit I outlined in green is where the opening is for the batteries to be inserted, the bit I outlined in blue is a separate piece of plastic that serves to hold the batteries in along with the contact load spring, and the bit I scribbled on with yellow is hot (or similar) glue holding that stuff in place.

Guessing remove the glue (pick, or the like) & slide it all out. :man_shrugging:

The pick is a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.