Tails Hartnett - Statement of Intent BOD 2020 & AMA

As moderator of this forum, you closed the topic about re-opening the space for PPE production.

In the past, how have you sought out differing opinions and fostered open, honest, and reasoned discussion on controversial topics?

2 Likes

Troll memes are imminent. I can feel it.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

4 Likes

I closed the topic because you were beating the dead horse.

I’m all for differing opinions, but when the same arguments just drag on and on without any new contributions or any new substance, and most importantly when it’s already a dead horse, it’s down to just trolling and a detriment to the community.

For example: I’ve closed at least 3 other PPE related topics. They were all duplicates, beating the same dead horse, and contribute nothing to this community.

Trolls will be trolls, dead horses deserve respect not being beaten, politics rants need to stay in threads related to politics. Otherwise I’m open.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Your post that I closed the thread in response to was a great example of the beating of a dead horse, I replied why it was closed and how posts of that nature are evaluated.

Not enabling troll posts, letting threads that have run their course die so people with actual contributions may make them, keeping threads on track.
I don’t tolerate people who try to derail threads since it silences the original poster; I won’t allow political rants outside of politics threads since it spreads nothing but harmful feelings to members, I don’t enable people like you to drown out the good on this forum by necroing dead threads with posts that contain zero substance.

that is how you foster open discussion, but ensuring the forum is a place that people can be comfortable posting without a troll hijacking their threads. The vast majority of trouble on this forum that discourages members from being active here come from a small number of members, but the moderation team is already small and recently lost another member when they left DMS.

You seriously think that’s a post of substance? That had been shared several times on Talk already, including several days prior in that very thread

You literally just proved my point about shutting down trolls; you didn’t even read the thread you were replying in but rather just wanted to argue with people.
Shutting down posts like that is exactly how we keep open discussion. Because posts like yours aren’t an open discussion, they’re just arguing for the sake of arguing and the reason why members aren’t comfortable posting on talk because they know people like that will try to drag things out with them.

You seriously just tried to do an ad hominem attack right there, when you aren’t even reading the thread where you’re spamming people.

Yeah I’m totally just trying to blow off stress.

2 Likes

5 Likes

How does spamming a thread “foster open discussion?” What contribution does it make to the thread? Why is it appropriate to keep beating the dead horse after the thread had died on its own?

As for it being a rule, I direct you to the following sections in our guidelines: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/guidelines

• Improving the conversation
  • Always be Civil (the rule about not spamming the threads)
  • and this whole section here about keeping things tidy: Keep It Tidy

Make the effort to put things in the right place, so that we can spend more time discussing and less cleaning up. So:

• Don’t start a topic in the wrong category.
  • Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
  • Don’t post no-content replies.
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.
  • Don’t sign your posts — every post has your profile information attached to it.

Have you actually read our community guidelines?

You have repeatedly tried to spam your personal opinion that we should be open, despite the fact this had already been a dead-horse discussion. You then proceed to start spamming a thread with repeated information to try and continue that personal argument of yours.
That is the definition of trying to hijack a thread for your own argument.

Except it’s not; see above. Your post-hoc reasoning for your own argument is just laughable right now as it was that your reply was original when the same material you posted was only 5 posts up. You couldn’t even be bothered to read just a few posts before yours to start an argument?

This is literally what you are doing.

Except it’s not a matter of perspective, you were literally flagged and hidden for a standard moderation action. The fact you’re here arguing it because you don’t like it shows it’s you on the wrong end of the tables here bud.
We have rules about this, you are spamming threads posting back to back. Even in the time I’m writing this you’ve posted yet again back to spam spamming the replies in this thread.

• I’ve quoted the Talk rules (that you clearly have not read)
  • I’ve pointed out that you were spamming the thread with evidence
  • you aren’t trying to have an open discussion here, you’ve attacked me and done nothing to have a conversation on a legitimate topic but just a facade of one as I had already answered the question when you escalated it.

Q.E.D. You’re trolling.

And that is how I maintain this community. I don’t work on feelings, I work on evidence. When the evidence points to trolling, I act on it. Try using some next time you want to argue something.

1 Like

The quote for the stay-at-home was content, albeit unoriginal. Yeah, I missed on the 100+ replies. I quoted a way we can open to make PPE is off-topic in a topic about opening for making PPE. How that is diverting a topic by changing it midstream I don’t think I will ever know. :man_cartwheeling:

I’m not trolling. I’m not just saying this stuff for a reaction. I’m saying it because someone needs to say it. Because I actually have some core principles that you’re violating. Because I expect leaders to steel-man arguments they disagree with and engage with reasonable criticisms. Because I think that limiting speech is something that should be avoided, especially when it’s done by administrators.

1 Like

3 Likes

7 Likes

Duplicate posts are non-content posts; additionally you can’t bother reading just a handful of posts up from your own shows you are not trying to contribute to a discussion but argue separately.

You’re diverting focus from the rest of the conversation which was on contributions outside of DMS, such as your own earlier in the thread about protein folding, about others sharing things such as patterns for mask making, etc.
You also had another topic trying to argue this point, which was closed because it was a dead horse topic: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/we-should-be-open/70676
You already have a history of trying to beat this dead horse that has been argued in a dozen threads already. Unless something new actually comes up, it’s a dead horse.

Except it’s already been said a hundred times before, you’ve already been quoted the multiple rules you are breaking (convenient how you left out some of the other rules you’re breaking in your reply such as spamming replies to a thread). You’re trolling.

This isn’t limiting speech, you’re trolling. If you posted something new to the discussion, it would have stayed. Heck you can see I have no qualms with letting @Holliday’s posts stay in those threads with Acme stuff despite our disagreements because the conversation is at least being contributed to.
You posted a duplicate post which was flagged; it was a dead thread that you were trying to beat down further without even reading the posts in it.
That’s no longer a discussion, that’s a troll.

1 Like

Doug, I wish we could discuss this openly on this thread, but I don’t think it’s considered on-topic. I would create a new thread to discuss it but I tried that a few days ago and got redirected to the thread that is now closed.

It would just be for making PPE, as other places have done.

1 Like

Sorry, I was lead to believe it was the right place since when I made a new topic specifically about reopening, you closed the topic and said there were other topics for it. Is there another topic I’m not aware of where it is appropriate to talk about reopening?

I’m starting to get the feeling that reopening is an “off-topic” topic.

1 Like

Here is an on topic question instead of Raffi’s dead horse posts…

Knowing that we are in a recession and member retention will suffer, what methods to you propose to attract new members when we eventually are able to reopen?

5 Likes

I think the biggest boost we’ll have is a usable 102 workshop, which will open up more space within committees that are historically cramped. Additionally with the new computer lab, being able to teach introductory CAD classes properly will enable members coming in the door that are new to the maker scene. One of the complaints I’d heard regularly from people that either didn’t join, or left is that they have no idea what to do once here. Most hadn’t used CAD software before, and most hadn’t made much with their hands either. Encouraging classes geared towards those makers, and removing barriers to teaching, will help with that goal.
For example, in the woodshop we have a teaching scheme that caused members to leave, and deterred members such as myself from teaching the core tools most members cared about. Paul LaChance has already reached out and when we can reopen I hope to see a curriculum geared towards Makers to get people running on their projects, rather than the intense focus on committee-specific niches and cliques.

9 Likes

3 Likes