Tails Hartnett - Statement of Intent BOD 2020 & AMA

SOI as written 2020-03-24-1536 is reproduced below :

I, Tails Hartnett, am announcing my intent to run for the 2020-2021 board of the Dallas Makerspace.

I have been a member of Dallas Makerspace since 2018. Professionally, I am a security consultant for large enterprises. Volunteering, I’ve been chair of Metal Shop, Automotive, and the Infrastructure Officer for DMS and put in countless hours for other organizations.

Accomplishments include

• organizing large number of volunteers for metal shop cleanup days
  • teaching across 4 committees
  • managing projects such as the metal shop gas system
  • writing documentation videos for various network services
  • regularly install and repair critical infrastructure such as workshop doors, ramp overhead doors, cameras, air hose drops, electrical for metal shop
  • Deployment of new computer lab in the Pillar of Solitude

Goals for Board

• Finish expansion
  • Push the development of better documentation within committees and the organization as a whole
  • Foster the development of more online and self-study classes

Contact Information

I can be found readily available on the following platforms:

(I think you get the drift.)

Endorsements

• James Henningson
  • Andrew LeCody
  • Julie Harris
  • Justin Wagner
  • Robert Davidson
  • Malcolm Galland
  • Ken Purcell
  • Freddy Calvert
  • Jayson Woods
  • Erik Smith
  • Patrick Thompson
  • Michael Bayern
  • Marshall Blatz

EDIT: link fixed

9 Likes

I’m sure I’m not the only one with this question - how do you pronounce hon1nbo?

1 Like

https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=ja&tl=en&text=本因坊

There’s a speech button. I accept whatever as long you’re consistent.

4 Likes

Have you surpassed the need for sleep?

3 Likes

He may be the worlds first true cyborg.

2 Likes

I had for a while, then a bender of crazy work shenanigans in January has actually broken that; I’m still a polyphasic sleeper but not by choice. Whilst I can operate with very little to none and be productive, I love sleep and my bed.

My record for productivity is around 76 hours during a work crunch, after which I started having auditory hallucinations whilst at my desk and took an uber home from the office.

You know too much

2 Likes

2 Likes

if you want to do the spanish way of things go for it. (edit: not sure where the button for the source language to speech item is on mobile, I made that link in a web browser)

1 Like

So far I like Book 1 the best

1 Like

I suppose serious question. What are your plans to ensure there is not a vacuum created from your current roles by becoming a board member?

4 Likes

In metal shop we’ve fostered a good community, and I have several recommendations for people to take over. When I was originally being asked to take over infrastructure, some of these people were ready to step up then, and I’m not afraid to nominate them now.
In Automotive there has been a vacuum due to it being one of the “not it” games for leadership. I don’t mind providing them support if someone does not step in, but also we’ve accomplished some notable things recently such as the procurement of a proper code scanner unit, releasing one of the lift cylinders, migrating the lift to RFID, and enabling the milwaukee tools that had been in storage for a year to be used. Even if there is a brief vacuum, I expect the committee will continue to operate business as usual since we achieved much of the heavy legwork over the past few months

Infrastructure is where things get trickier, as there are not many people qualified for the role nor willing. I do not mind leading it until such a person arrives. In terms of a potential conflict of interest, unlike committees Infrastructure has to get the Treasurer to approve its notable expenses outside of a fixed allocation and thus I’m not approving my own expenses (inb4 you’ll just add treasurer to that list of titles: I’m not qualified to take on treasurer)

5 Likes

Along the same lines as @FairieCyanide

Do you intend to stay on as Board, Director, Double Chair & Teacher?
What will give?
Who will fill the void?

How many characters can a talk position title be? Will you break the server?

I think you may have not gotten the page refresh after my reply, so I’ll ask you see above and add the clarification that I plan to step from metal and automotive, and infrastructure once someone qualified can take over though I’ll continue to support each committee since I have no intention on stopping being active where I am presently. A BoD member is, like all of us, still a member and we’re here not to do boring stuff, but to make cool stuff. I don’t mind doing some of the boring stuff to help keep the awesome committees here going

No idea, but I do not intend to find out.

2 Likes

As moderator of this forum, you closed the topic about re-opening the space for PPE production.

In the past, how have you sought out differing opinions and fostered open, honest, and reasoned discussion on controversial topics?

2 Likes

Troll memes are imminent. I can feel it.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

4 Likes

I closed the topic because you were beating the dead horse.

I’m all for differing opinions, but when the same arguments just drag on and on without any new contributions or any new substance, and most importantly when it’s already a dead horse, it’s down to just trolling and a detriment to the community.

For example: I’ve closed at least 3 other PPE related topics. They were all duplicates, beating the same dead horse, and contribute nothing to this community.

Trolls will be trolls, dead horses deserve respect not being beaten, politics rants need to stay in threads related to politics. Otherwise I’m open.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Your post that I closed the thread in response to was a great example of the beating of a dead horse, I replied why it was closed and how posts of that nature are evaluated.

Not enabling troll posts, letting threads that have run their course die so people with actual contributions may make them, keeping threads on track.
I don’t tolerate people who try to derail threads since it silences the original poster; I won’t allow political rants outside of politics threads since it spreads nothing but harmful feelings to members, I don’t enable people like you to drown out the good on this forum by necroing dead threads with posts that contain zero substance.

that is how you foster open discussion, but ensuring the forum is a place that people can be comfortable posting without a troll hijacking their threads. The vast majority of trouble on this forum that discourages members from being active here come from a small number of members, but the moderation team is already small and recently lost another member when they left DMS.

You seriously think that’s a post of substance? That had been shared several times on Talk already, including several days prior in that very thread

You literally just proved my point about shutting down trolls; you didn’t even read the thread you were replying in but rather just wanted to argue with people.
Shutting down posts like that is exactly how we keep open discussion. Because posts like yours aren’t an open discussion, they’re just arguing for the sake of arguing and the reason why members aren’t comfortable posting on talk because they know people like that will try to drag things out with them.

You seriously just tried to do an ad hominem attack right there, when you aren’t even reading the thread where you’re spamming people.

Yeah I’m totally just trying to blow off stress.

2 Likes

5 Likes