T-Shirt Making idea

Hi , I have a couple ideas for some T-shirts… is dye sublimation the best process? If it is will there be any classes going up

Dye sub is great for shirts … but be advised that unless you like the grunge look, dye sub is best done on 100% synthetic fabrics. It will look worn and faded on cotton shirts.

It’s visually similar to putting on a clear decal … whatever color your substrate will show through into the design. There is no such thing as white “ink”, either. If you’re planning on a dark shirt, there isn’t much that will show up on it vis-a-vis dye sub.

Unless you’re doing a photograph (or multi-colored artwork), most people prefer either heat transfer vinyl or screen printed (for multiples).

I a gen Xer :grin: that look will work… however I was planning on using high quality Cotton colored ( like stone washed) showing my age again) T shirt…

If you’re only doing a few T’s, then you’d probably want to go with the heat transfer vinyl. If you want a larger number, then screen printing is the way to go.

I can tag teachers of either, once you pick.

3 Likes

If you do decide to go the HTV route, there’s lots of places to pick it up on Harry Hines. You can pick up good quality and cheap t-shirt blanks there as well

1 Like

I have a screen making class going up for 6/11, and screen printing for 6/18. We have some business cards on one of the cabinets for t-shirt wholesalers we’ve used in the past.

3 Likes

Dye sub is NOT suitable for cotton.

3 Likes