I would like to do several basic projects
starting with plant tissue culture
agrobacterium transfection of plasmid into a plant

longer term goals:
create project to “turn off” flower color
transgenic flower color controlled by temperature sensative gene
snake venom created via transgenic organism instead of by snake farming

2 Likes

Those sound like great projects. The Science committee is currently working hard to build up the tools and infrastructure needed for projects like these.

I’m interested in working on Cat 2.0, performing sequencing and splicing necessary to develop a cat with two heads. That way, he wouldn’t have to stop hunting for mice just to lick his own butt, substantially increasing his efficiency and usefulness around the house. Is that something I could work on in the paint booth? Oh sorry, I meant to say “Science Committee”. My bad.

(innocent look)

even got a diy bioprinter shiiiii!
http://biocurious.org/projects/bioprinter/

1 Like

Dude!!! Welcome, and sorry for not getting here sooner! We’re big on neuronal development and interfacing, neuronal stem cells, stem cells (the type that can be housed in warehouse next to a pin ball machine) and stuff that glows but damn son… we’ll get ya your snake venom. Do you have a list of species you want installed? We’re planning/looking at logistics for bioreactors with e. coli, caulobacter crescentus, Aliivibrio fischeri and now I’m guessing Pseudomonas fluorescens. There’s tons of interest flying around the space for a farmbot or experimental nursery or something just real nice to look at and smell from time to time but that you don’t have to put a lot of effort into… make your own joke. If you want to build something here, you got to get a certain number of classes taught related to your build; submit a plan, design, and budget for your project; and make your best faith effort to apply your build to other science projects and DMS as whole. Simples! Don’t worry, we got people here to help out with every semicolon and comma but we don’t do people’s homework for them.

Sorry for the handful of troglodytes on here; how they made it past the front door, then a password screen, and then wound up in Science is beyond me. I’m on your Meetup page and will definitely check out whatever else you throw our way. If you have more ideas or resources please continue posting.

I ordered the CRISPR kit for bacteria, I will try it out myself first and then maybe teach a class on it if I can get it to work.

1 Like

did you see anything on the plate we made last week?