Surgery today see you all on the other side

I was a fall risk on the first day. I am no more i liability as you are. And i refuse ti take my pain meds if i am doing any kind of work. I am still able to teach.

The fall risk band you had on while at the space last night would say otherwise.

1 Like

Yes i have it on because if i do take my pain meds i become a fall risk. But i donā€™t take them at the space. I may be slow at moving around but i am still very capable to do everyday things. I never do anything that puts other at risk. I donā€™t abuse the equipment. I didnā€™t use the lift to crush a bike which should be a ban of the space for 6 months as that is not the first incident.

Iā€™m not sure what this has to do with anything.

The issue at hand here is that you are still actively taking pain meds. There is a reason that employers will not allow people in jobs that involve the use of dangerous equipment while their employees are taking medication. Further, just because you are not taking them ā€œwhen you are at the spaceā€ does not mean their effects are gone. Medication half life and all.

One could argue your insistence in continuing to use the equipment while you still require medication is putting EVERYONE at risk. If you hurt yourself or someone else DMS has to pick up the pieces.

Bottom line, please consider not placing us in the situation where we have to make a judgement call in regards to our risk and your safety.

2 Likes

I am no more i liability as you are.

Iā€™ve been at the space in a walking boot and didnā€™t venture off the carpet and mostly worked sitting in a chair.
Slick concrete floor (potentially wet or slippery with sawdust) + walking boot = you are more of a fall hazard than someone in street shoes with full mobility.

Iā€™d suggest we all full stop a moment.
A memberā€™s ability to walk or wheelchair or anything in between has ZERO to do with their membership and access.

The issue at hand is not mobility impairment, but rather pharmaceutical. I am not a doctor but I would defer to metalshops rules which have been voted upon this spring and modified to include references to medicines, impairments, etc.
Based on that alone, please follow the committeeā€™s rules.

9 Likes

Very true also DMS code of conduct states in rule 8 ā€œAll members are expected to maintain a safe and clean environment at all times.ā€. His behavior is very unsafe and clearly violates this rule.

And @Cyberzombie78 it is also about your safety not just others if you get killed or seriously injured you will have to sue the makerspace to pay rent and this will likely get us shut down, even if you donā€™t sue the DMS.
Consider the fact that when in severe pain your senses are dulled and reaction time slowed even if you havenā€™t just taken medication you are still far from functioning at a safe level.

@Team_Moderators can we close this thread? I think we have extracted all the usefulness from this thread.

I hope Thomas heals well and we can see him at the space soon.

2 Likes