Suggestions on finding a deer lease

I have recently moved to Dallas and am interested in finding a deer lease.
There are many online options. Any suggestions for quality options, preferably in a reasonable price range? Meat, not trophies, is the objective.
1-2 hunters, rifle, primitive camping preferred.
thank you,
David

1 Like

Calling @Team_Hatchers

I probably can’t give you much useful information about finding a deer lease. I can’t afford a deer lease, I spend all of my money on guns. :grinning: But I might give you some things to watch out for.

There is a significant number of deer leases in Texas that don’t actually have deer on them. I have heard that the good leases aren’t available unless you are in the will of one of the members of the lease.

It might be a good idea to do as much research into general hunting before laying out money on a lease. You might try getting involved with wild pig hunting to introduce yourself to the hunters in the area. It has the added advantage of being all ways open season on wild pigs. The pigs cause so much damage that land owners are very generous in allowing hunting pigs on their land.

I don’t know where you have hunted before but I suspect you are in for quite a culture shock here in Texas. There is very little land in Texas that isn’t private.

Good luck with your search. I know that there are a lot of people that have good experiences hunting and camping in Texas. It can be done. I expect the experience that you bring to Texas will probably need to be “slightly” adjusted.

Russell Ward

2 Likes

There are plenty of good leases out there. What you’ll pay depends on the quality of the deer and the distance from Dallas. It’s pretty easy to get on a lease with 1-2 guys. It gets much much more difficult to get on a lease with more. Spots open up all the time but it’s usually just for a few guys.

I would expect to pay $2000 or more for a 1 spot on almost any lease within 2 hours of Dallas. It also depends on what comes with the lease. Sometimes feeders and stands are already there and provided. Sometimes the corn is included.

I got a call yesterday about a spot for one person on a lease near Abilene for $2800. What’s your budget? Do you already have feeders and blinds? How far do you want to drive? Do you mind sharing a lease with 20 guys you don’t know? Are you going to hunt Turkey or hogs?

1 Like

Try the Texas hunting forum. Where I found one of mine. There are also many lease brokers, it your better off dealing directly with the landowners.

$2800? Damn…

I should spend the $79 for the hunting lease license for my property.

4 Likes

The last deer lease I was on was 20k for 1000 acres. It was a hour West of Waco. That was 3 years ago. I’d be happy if I could find another lease as good as that one for the same price.

If you don’t mind driving, and since you are only interested in meat. A lease in Arkansas may be cheaper. An out of state hunting license is $350 I think. I also used to live in south east Arkansas. I have never seen as many deer as when I lived there. I think the bag limit is like 6 in that county.

Slightly off topic and not to derail the tread. There’s definitely deer in the area. I saw quite a few decent sized ones in July coming home from DMS. In Hickory Creek no less, right off Swisher & 35. I tried get close for a picture but didn’t want to end up as a “Florida man” story.

I have also seen about a dozen together of 35W in Denton.

3 Likes

My family’s property in Sanger/Boliver has plenty of deer. Just not big enough for a proper hunting lease.

Thanks all for the information.