Suggestions and help please

Hey everyone!

I’m so happy the space is back open :smiley:. I have taken the laser 101 course and completed one project before the space closed due to Covid, I am wanting to come up and use the laser but feeling a little rusty and want to make sure I do everything correctly. I reviewed the 101 class sheet with the safety stuff.

I make wooden signs for home decor. I am planning on using 1/8 plywood to cut out woods for one sign and for another I am using 1/4 inch plywood to engrave the words into the board which I plan on then painting black. I goal is to compare to my current process of making a stencil and painting the words on the sign to using the laser to engrave and then paint.

also because I know most people use RD works, I have used silhoutte studio for so long to create my designs for my vinyl cutter and dye sub I can save files as SVG so I used the lightburn software.

What speed and power would you recommend I use for theses projects?

Is anyone available to be around to provide advice or suggestions? I need to have them ready for framing this weekend. I am currently on STD due to needing a tendon repair and am available at any time of day.

Thanks in advance,
Dez

1 Like

Hey Dez, I’m not around this weekend but I have a couple of observations.

1. I’ve found that when you laser etch wood, especially plywood, it creates a lot of little channels for paint (or stain) to seep into. I have had some trouble with my stain seeping way out into areas that I don’t want it to get into. You could brush in a thin layer of epoxy or even spray in some kind of fixative to maybe keep that from happening.
  1. On the speed and power thing, definitely experiment on scrap wood, and don’t assume that those settings will be accurate next time you laser something. The laser degrades over time, the lens can get dirty and all sorts of other issues that make it hard to estimate the power and speed needed. But something like 15% power and 500 for the speed is probably a good starting point for a light etch on ply. To cut through 1/8" ply you will need to run it at full power and pretty slow speed and may need to run the cut several times. Good luck!
2 Likes

Ryan is correct, the laser settings can vary based on the last time the laser was serviced. Lenses get dirty and mirrors are knocked out of alignment, all of which can reduce the power available. You should have a general idea but be prepared to run some test cuts when you arrive.

Specifically though, if anything takes 2-3x the power or time from what you expected, please stop and inspect the mirrors/lens. They might already be dirty. Cutting with dirty optics can cause further damage and is just frustrating in general.

If you (or anyone else) would like, I can show you how to inspect and clean the optics so you’ll always have the best performance for a job. I’m available most evenings after work just let me know if you (or again, anyone else) would like to meet up. It’s a delicate task but only takes a few minutes.

4 Likes

For cutting 3mm -1/8" plywood on the thunders, I generally use 70% power, 22-30 mm/s speed.

Etching in any wood, 20-40% power, 500mm speed. Test the power to see the depth of engraving.

Scan interval .06-.1mm for resolution, scan direction on the x swing.

As @ryan says, a coating helps before you laser. Shellac is a great, quick drying finish. Plus it will support most any other finish you wish to apply after.

4 Likes

One thing to add. As you move from the top left corner to bottom right corner, the ability Of the laser is diminished. Not a huge amount, so not such a big deal when etching, but you will find that if a cut setting Is juuust right at top left, it won’t quite cut through at bottom right.

3 Likes

I would love to learn how to clean the lens, if you schedule a time, please let me know. DT