Sublimation on dark colored shirts

Hey there

I’m relatively new to sublimating. Ive printed on white, camouflage and gray cotton shirts. My color is not vibrant on the black shirt. I am using the Dms computer and app to print on Ricoh paper. Do you think I need to change the paper. thanks for the tips!

Sublimating is conceptually like putting on a clear decal. Unlike a printed sticker, there is no background color on the sublimation (and there is no white sublimation dye). The color of the substrate is going to show through the dye “ink”. Just like if you put a clear decal onto something black - the colors are going to look washed out and faded; whereas if you put a decal onto something white or light the colors are going to be much more visible.

1 Like

I’m surprised that you can see anything at all on a black shirt. Sublimation directly to a black shirt is not a good choice. If you want to decorate a black shirt and insist on sublimation, then you need to sublimate to white or glitter HTV that is applied to the shirt. Check out the Siser EasySubli material: SISER EASYSUBLI , 20" at GRAPHIC SOLUTIONS GROUP

2 Likes