Storage question

Yesterday I sent this issue via email to [email protected], but I haven’t gotten a response yet. If it’s inappropriate for me to ask this question in this forum, just let me know.

I’ve bought some hardwood and arranged to have it delivered to the space tomorrow, for a twin platform bed that I’ll be working on. I’m guessing that the project will take me at least a week to complete. Because it’s a bed (albeit a small one), I’ll have several long boards that will need to be stored (and eventually — hopefully — something that looks a lot like a bed frame and headboard :-)).

Up until now, whenever I’ve worked in the wood shop I’ve worked only on small pieces. I’ve taken home everything if it’s been a work in progress. But that won’t be possible with this project.

When I’ve looked at the storage shelves/slots around the shop, it has appeared to me that there is no available space — at least in the sense that all spaces seem to have a card filled out with someone’s name. In some instances, that “reserved” space was either empty, or only a fraction of it was filled by a project. Having said that, I haven’t searched carefully, and I may well just not have noticed the available spots.

I want to be sure I’m following the rules, and not stepping on anyone’s toes or messing with anyone’s work.

I’m hoping that you can give me some guidance as to where I should plan on storing the wood for the bed while I’m working on it. I’m happy to share a slot with someone else, if that’s appropriate.

1 Like

Storage is first come, first serve and can be a bit cut throat in my experience. It wouldn’t surprise me to hear all of the available storage is full.

I was looking for storage a few days ago and noticed that many of the spots have a July card with no August extension. Is this something that will be analyzed/addressed soon?

1 Like

All storage questions, including those regarding dates, length of time for storage, offsite procedures, meetings, etc., are best addressed by reading and comprehending the storage card and the laminated sheets posted along the west wall of the storage shelves in their entirety (have a friggin’ magnifying glass and a lawyer handy…). Anything else may be right or wrong and, regardless, held against you in a court of law.

1 Like

For tall items in the vertical wood storage area you can likely just bundle your items with tape and put a storage card directly on the items to share a spot. You can also store things on the floor in the brown tape area near science, just affix a storage card to your items.

In general project storage expires every month on the first saturday (upcoming sept 3rd) and if you don’t show up to the storage meeting on the 3rd to request an extension you must remove your project within 7 days. If you do nothing your project gets hauled to the offsite storage locker(info on back of card) where it will be thrown away after a month. So generally the most amount of storage spots are available on the second saturday of the month(upcoming august 10th).

1 Like

Thanks. This is consistent with the feedback I have now received from the storage folks by e-mail. I’ll add that proper protocol includes reaching out to the person whose vertical space you intend to share, to let them know and make sure they have no objection.

sb- happy to share mine - there are a bunch of acrylic sheets in it right now, about 5’ tall by 21"+/-…just want to be able to get to them without moving 1000 pounds :slight_smile: and some odd pieces from an old maple tabletop

1 Like

Thanks, Jeff. I will take you up on that.