Storage cubby any help would be appreciated

How does one go about getting a personal storage cubby by the science department someone told me it was a one time charge but they couldn’t remember how much or how I obtain one

Tagging @Team_Logistics

When I did mine, it was cash in an envelope taped to a bin (had to buy the bin, it’s a standard Ikea one) with your name, DMS ID, and phone number.

I don’t recall how much it was.

I don’t mind buying a bin but I thought I saw on Sunday that there where a few with out names on them

Judy @jrkriehn is, I think, still the most closely-associate volunteer on those bins:
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/let-the-small-storage-bin-frenzy-begin/57398?u=jast

3 Likes

I can’t access the link I applied for the green Dot but haven’t received it yet

I do not see this request in #00-member-access-green-dot but you should now be dotted.

Thank you I’ll try to see if there are any available next time I’m up there

Hi Trapper -
What was described above is pretty much the story.

$20.00 - cash or check - placed in an envelope and taped to bin. You can purchase your own bin at IKEA (Trofast) or if empty ones are available, snag one of those. Last I checked, I had a couple of available bins stacked on the floor next to the single shelving unit next to 3D fab. And yes, the fee is a one-time fee, but only if your membership does not lapse at any time between now and the end of time. If your membership lapses due to non-payment or you quit the space or whatever, you forfeit your spot and must start over if/when you return.

Other info I need is:

• Your name as listed in Maker Manager
    (for example, my legal name is Juliette Kriehn)

• The name you would prefer to have “large” for id purposes on the bin
    (but people know me as “Judy”)

• and either your cell # or your membership # (which is whatever number is imprinted on your fob/tag)

• If you are an “add-on” member, please include the name of the primary account holder. I have found that sometimes a name doesn’t show up in one place, as they don’t have a number associated with their name, but I can confirm if I have the primary account holder.

Please do not rearrange bins to give yourself a desirable location. While the Logistics committee reserves the right to mix things up while conducting audits or physically relocating bin storage, it’s kinda selfish to move other people’s belongings around. Especially when there may be a good reason why their bin is located where it is. Like they are disabled.

If you choose to purchase your own bin, make sure to purchase a lid at the same time. Having a lid that closes firmly helps stabilize the bin so it can hold more weight inside. The current color selection at IKEA is kind of limited. White, orange or pink. Currently, the stock of white bins at the Frisco store is limited (10?) But is pretty good for the other two colors and lids. The Grand Prairie store has scads of the white and orange, but “only” 50-ish of the pink. And only 40 lids.
That said, at least one member successfully spray-painted her bin a desirable color using the Krylon paint formulated for plastic. Just don’t spray paint it here at the space… I used mod dodge and fabric to cover mine. only downside is that the modpodge is apparently even more immune to adhesives on top than the bins themselves are…

More info than you wanted, huh?

6 Likes

Do I need to put the primary members fob number and my number or did I misunderstand and I put all of this in an envelope and leave it where?

1 Like

If the primary member isn’t you, I don’t need their number. Just yours. Or, alternatively, a cellphone number. I can usually track info down within the database with little more than a name, but occasionally it requires more digging.

The envelope gets taped to the front of the bin. At the far end of the bin “hall”, there is a freestanding set of cubbies. One is a lime green drawer. There should be empty envelopes in there. Finding tape may be a different challenge altogether, though.

I strongly recommend putting your name (either preferred or legal) on front of envelope, but the other info can be placed inside with the money if you prefer to keep that (mostly) private. I do put the member # on the permanent label, though.

1 Like

cool I think I understand thanks for all your help

1 Like

you are most welcome! welcome to the space.

1 Like