Steel Barrel for Parts Washer

The steel barrel for our beloved parts washer has rusted through. @sixshot357 is looking for a replacement available for purchase.

In the meantime, if anyone has one available they’d be willing to part with please let us know! Given the demographic of the DMS I figure someone has a line on one they’re sick of looking at lol.

Dimensions are 28" tall, 19" diameter (~30 gallons).

Thanks y’all!

2 Likes

Turns out the grime was structural :person_shrugging:

1 Like

That barrel lasted several years! I replaced it during my tenure. The original one developed a seeping leak on the bottom.

It is a standard but short barrel? Grainger I think was the source - but you will have to ask @TBJK to make the hole in the side with his knock out press for the fittings.

1 Like

Many barrels on FB Marketplace, but little information about dimensions of steel barrels if they aren’t 55 Gal

Going on memory here - 30 gal drum from Grainger. It fit in the back of my hb with some room to spare. Can’t find a record of the purchase, but do remember picking it up.

3 Likes

Dimensions are about right for a 30 gal. About $200 from Grainger. Too bad a plastic one won’t work. There are a bazillion for under $20 on Marketplace.

1 Like

That steel looks like there are serious pitting in the base metal. Almost like it was welded without shielding gas

2 Likes

If I didn’t think it’d immediately spring another leak from the seam I’d mig weld the holes up and call it a day lol

1 Like

I had looked into a stainless steel drum at the time but they were $600.

Now they are just shy of a kilobuck

Any value add to a liner, e.g.

?

EDIT: more realistic supplier/pricepoint:

1 Like

The pump will draw from a hole near the bottom of the tank that needs to be sealed. A liner would add a layer of complexity to making sure it doesn’t leak.

A liner would also need to withstand the heating element inside the tank.

I think we could increase the lifespan of the barrel by periodically repainting the interior. If we can keep that coating layer intact we can delay rust even further beyond the 5 year mark.

1 Like

If we were serious, we could have a fab shop roll a piece of stainless into a tube shape. Then weld it into a barrel.

What’s the issue with plastic? Does the heater get too hot? Or are we worried about other trauma?

Ive got a 30 gal steel drum i bought for a project last year but have since decided to do something else. Id be happy to sell it/trade. I think i paid $85 or so for it. I can get measurements later if your interested

1 Like

I think we’d be interested yes! I’ll shoot you a pm!

I’m worried about heat, I’m also worried about dimensions (it’d be nice to keep the lid we already have and the plastic ones I’ve seen have a larger opening on top).

If we can find one that keeps the dimensions we need and is good for the heat I’m not opposed!

I believe it had palm oil in it.

Sounds good to me! If it’s in decent shape and the dimensions match the old one I say go for it.

@sixshot357 , Sam what do you think?