Steamroller Printing

Want to make a giant print? Now you can! CA folk and printmakers if we can get woodshop/Laser to team up with us this would be easy peasy to get some blocks ready.

Cost to print is $25 per block or team. You get to keep or sell your print as you desire and materials are included in the fee.

Where: Clampitt Paper, Address: 9207 Ambassador Row Dallas, TX 75247
When: Saturday, May 6, 2017
Check in: 9:00 am - 10:00 am
Print Theme: None
Printing Time: 12PM – 5PM, Blocks will be printed on a first come first serve basis.
Block/Image Size: 30” X 40”
Mandatory Block Thickness: Size: 1/2 inch

2 Likes

The level of awesome… is… too much for words.

3 Likes

It really is! The only thing stopping me from making one is having the DMS stamp of approval for the CNC Mill. I feel like this would be a fantastic opportunity for committees to partner up. Or even do one for ourselves as PR

1 Like

What all we need to do to do this? I would love for us
to have one or two that could later be used to promote
the space as a poster,

I’ll help brainstorm imagery and carve but I’m occupied that actual day.

1 Like

I’ll be buying a full sheet (48" by 96") of 1/2" MDF for this, so I’ll have an extra two 30x40 sheets available if someone wants them. Just asking for the cost of the material ($9 per, plus tax…)

1 Like

We need our $25 for the entry fees for each block, the carved blocks (hand or CNC done), and the paint to seal them. I have a turbine HVLP we can use to spray them down. I’m going to email him today to see if we must have a mandatory number of people on the team for each of our blocks at the event or if we just need help loading them up. I have a truck so no worries there.

I’ll take them.

Just checked with them. It’s OK if we only have a couple folk there. They’re happy to have more help but apparently have a team as well. The biggest thing is making sure that we are paying a registration PER BLOCK and the design isn’t offensive.

We may even get two prints of our blocks if time permits so we would have one for us and one to sell :slight_smile: .

So my district art director is wanting to make a promo/partnership thing about this and I mentioned to him we need to give DMS some marketing for having the equipment and folks to make the block even possible. Who’d be the King Banana to talk to about details?

I know Astrud is doing a block, and I’m debating doing one myself.

1 Like

Go for it. I have a tentative offer from someone to help me mill it since I’m not rubber stamped for multicam. I’ll be up there Saturday if you need some help or advice on adapting designs for it

Naaah, I’m good. Probably be hand carving/chiseling out some stuff based on the tiki designs from my pinball machine.

Bless your patience. I might hand carve if I REALLY have to and assuming the space has the carvey gougy bits big enough. But if I’m honest exactly 0% of my ADHD self appreciates doing it hand carved when there is a bright shiny router to do it and I can make more stuff

Oh, I’m all for using modern tools when it works for me. Just thinking results will be more what I want if I hand carve vs routing. Plus I already did all the hand carving on the tiki statue for the pinball backglass, so might as well keep that going.

Fair enough. The tiki machine is beautiful! I’m reminding myself to keep it simple since I have never worked on this scale and can’t honestly predict how things will behave.

You might talk to the lady who runs Paper Arts in Depp Ellum. She has a steamroller print up over the front door, is working on a block for a roll in Houston in s month or so, and even has an old block as a countertop behind the register counter.

Interesting so far.

9 Likes

So glad DMS represented like that! Ya’ll did lovely pieces. Now to build a huge frame lol

1 Like
1 Like
4 Likes