Steam Engine Kit (to do or not to do)

while cleaning the cabinet last week I ran across the steam engine kit that was purchased as a group project. It’s been a while and I’m sure new people are unaware of it. It’s been sitting for over a year. We would still like to see this done as a group project, or if anyone knows the value of it, perhaps we’ll just let it go to a member that wants it. Funds would go back to the committee so we can buy more stuff.

1 Like

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Machine_Shop_PM_Research_Steam_Engine
Looks like a new kit is ~$85.00…

(from the wiki page)
I’d love to see it finished out!

yes, I think we all would. It would make a good display item for our upcoming open house. We just need some people to actively agree to collaborate and get 'r done. It was intended as a group project but if nobody wants to work on it I’ll open it up for bids.

1 Like

I’m definitely in to help on this. Where is it located. Next time i’m there, i’d like to take a look and get a sense of what it would take to assemble.

1 Like

If memory serves, we hit some bumps in milling the top of the base plate (or whatever the big bottom casting is called) and that was about where interest petered out…
The flywheel was finished, as I recall.
The recommended operations sheet should be in the box and if you follow along with them, this should give you some idea where about it was left off…

i’ll be up there on Friday /Sat for classes. The unopen one is located right behind the drill bit box. I didn’t see one that is already started.

1 Like